Chapter Eight: Turning Point

"Has Enkidu returned?" Gilgamesh's voice echoed around the ziggurat's kitchen. The aroma of freshly cooked meat that filled the hall, was a good start for the king's day.

"He is yet to arrive, my king," Siduri answered. "He shall be back within this day."

"I see," Gilgamesh sat by the end of the long dining table. In front of him, laid a plate of his breakfast. Siduri has arranged the food in a nice plating enough to feed not just the stomach but also the eyes.

"Shall I bring this to the room?" Siduri asked, turning around to face the king. She carries a plate in one hand.

"You may," Gil replied, picking on his own food. "She doesn't deserve an audience with me at the dining table."

Siduri gave a small nod before she made her way out, leaving the hall all to Gilgamesh. The sun has already shone its first rays upon the ziggurat. It's light slowly crept in to grace the room with brightness. Mornings like this reminded Gil of the days before he met Enkidu. It was funny how now, he can't imagine life without his dear friend.

Enkidu left last night, the night of the day they talked about finding a woman worthy to sit beside Gil, taking Vimana with him as advised.. Soon, Enkidu will return, bringing another addition to the ziggurat. Hopefully she'll provide quite the entertainment for the king. 

Gilgamesh is yet to meet the princess but he already began to wonder what type of woman she is. Either way, having had met and spent the night with different women, he knows his way well within a maiden's heart.

If she's submissive, she'll probably only entertain Gil for a short time, making her no different to the women he slept with. If she resists, well, she'll only be able to keep that for a short while too; Gil would soon take over and before she knows it, she'll be under his thumb.

A smirk rose to Gil's lips as he began to eat the food prepared for him. Entertaining or not, it would still be nice to have a new person around. Oh the things he can do to her. After all, he's the king. The people and the things around him are nothing but toys.

***

"Why welcome, Siduri!" The king's advisor was welcomed by a woman's voice. "Feel free to enter the king's room while I'm here." Siduri was able to keep herself from rolling her eyes at the statement that welcomed her.

On the bed sat a woman around Siduri and Gilgamesh's age. Her brown hair falls just below her bare shoulders. Siduri kept her gaze down as she walked in, refraning herself from looking at the naked woman on the bed.

In her thoughts, Siduri cringed at her audacity to feel at home in the king's domain. Out of all the women Gilgamesh sleeps with, this girl, without a doubt, is Siduri's least wanted. She gently placed the plate of food down on the bed, careful not to spill the content on the white sheets.

"Hey, Siduri," the girl spoke. "We should hangout more often." Although her tone seemed innocent, Siduri couldn't help but feel annoyed. Yet keeping her respects, Siduri politely replied, "What makes you think so?"

Although personally, Siduri would rather not spend a day with her, she still believes that this woman deserves to be respected just as much as any other. After all, she is a daughter of a notable person in Uruk.

"Why? Well, sooner or later, I'd live in the ziggurat too!" She replied, followed by a fit of giggles. "It won't be long until the king proposes to me. Oh, he truly loves me. Right, Siduri?"

The high priestess heaved a sigh. "Shinaku, I think you shouldn't..." Siduri spoke. Shinaku hummed in response, urging Siduri to continue. "...get too full of yourself."

"Am I?" Shinaku turned around to face Siduri. Her lips were pushed into a pout.

Siduri averted the conversation by saying "Please take the plate back to the kitchen before you leave." With that, she gave a small bow before heading out of the chamber, leaving Shinaku's question hanging. A sigh of relief left her lips the moment she stepped out. 

Shinaku is the type of person, Siduri doesn't fit well with. Although Siduri is a kind and understanding woman, it's inevitable to meet a person that doesn't fit your roster every once in a while. 

Different women come into the ziggurat every night only to leave when morning comes. It is undeniable that Shinaku has been here more times than the others. Because of that, she claims herself a favorite of the king. 

The answer to that resides in Gilgamesh although Siduri is certain it doesn't go as well as what Shinaku thinks. To the king, the girls he sleep with are objects of entertainment that ought to please him for a while, only to be discarded when the need doesn't call for them anymore.

In all honesty, Siduri is in favor of having a queen. She was the first person Enkidu approached about the plan he had in mind. "What do I think of having a queen? Enkidu, that's brilliant!" She could remember the way she exclaimed her words and the joy that flowed in them the moment she was told of the plan.

Although she looks after Uruk when the two boys head out on a journey, her knowledge is not enough and her efforts are futile when it comes to keeping the economy standing. She is but a high priestess, not a woman gifted with royal skills fit to be a nation's queen.

Siduri believes that a queen could be a good turning point for Gilgamesh. He can't forever give a cold shoulder to his people. What Uruk needs is a queen who reaches the citizens, one who can provide balance to the nation and can contrast the king's cold nature; a ray of light that can melt the frost on the surface to reveal what's underneath.

She places her full trust on Enkidu's judgement that he will bring home a woman who would love the kingdom as her own. When Enkidu described her based on what he heard, she did sound promising and even if Siduri hasn't met her yet, she has already taken a liking to her.

Despite her joy, Siduri also worries for the princess. She wonders what kind of approach would Enkidu do in order to get the princess to come with him. Will it be a peaceful talk or will a small quarrel rise to the surface? Siduri could only wonder but one thing she knows for sure is that Enkidu will not return empty handed.

Before heading to thethrone room to aid the king in his appointments today, Siduri went around to make sure that all is well for the arrival of the princess. It would be a shame if the ziggurat is not in its best when she arrives. 

The moment Siduri arrived at the main hall, Gilgamesh was already sitted on his throne. This marks the beginning of a new day. "You've come out to display yourself a little earlier today, my king," Siduri said as she positioned herself beside the flight of stairs that lead up to the throne.

"Enkidu can be back any moment from now, knowing that I dislike waiting," Gilgamesh answered, placing an elbow on the arm rest. "It would be a shame if the princess wouldn't be able to see me in the glory of my throne. First impression lasts."

Siduri noticed that the king is now clad in his golden armor and his hair swept back, away from his face. Gilgamesh is undeniably glorious in this appearance. It seems this is one important day to not just the king but the whole of Uruk.

Soon, Gil's pet lion has come out from the indoor garden located behind the throne. It stood beside Gil for a moment and gave out a big yawn before it descended down the stairs to walk towards Siduri. It affectionately nuzzled it's nose on her legs. In return, Siduri gave it a few head rubs before it eventually walked away to roam around the hall.

Even such wild cat is tamed under the king. Is there anything Uruk's king could not do? Unknown to both Siduri and Gilgamesh how much meeting just one person could change the trajectory of their entire lives.