Chapter Nine: Mark of Existence

You tossed and turned around the bed, unable to lull yourself to sleep. Every once in a while, you find yourself drifting off but the moment you drift farther into the realm of dreams, you suddenly find yourself wide awake. 

Knowing you wouldn't be able to sleep at all, you decided to get off. You threw your legs off to the edge of the bed as you sat for a moment, looking around. Your room that was once brightly decorated with your belongings is now empty, just as much as the feeling that pooled around your chest. It feels as if you just moved into this place but what's happening is the opposite: you are about to leave.

Your sad eyes gazed into a number of storage chests that lay on the floor. In there were the things that used to give life to this room. This is the queen's chamber, actually, but since a king is yet to rule your nation, your sister uses the past king's chamber for herself.

Standing up, you wrapped the sheets around your body to keep you warm. Slowly, you stepped out of your room, brushing aside the curtain that hang in your doorway. You took your time to walk down the long corridor.

It was dark just as always for the sun's light never reached the interior of your home. Yet today, it seemed much darker. Not because the sun is yet to rise, but because of the gloomy atmosphere that filled the entirety of the edifice.

Guided by the torches, you slowly made your way through the narrow corridor. Your eyes shift sidewards to look at the sacred carvings on the walls. You placed your fingers upon the wall and gently dragged them over the writings as you walked, savoring the last moments you get to touch them.

Written on these walls were chants and rituals dedicated to magecraft. Most of all, the mysteries of the divine children. It is believed that the very first divine child built this place not long ago. It wasn't just a home but also a massive chamber that holds the secrets of the royal family chosen by the goddess and carriers of the divine blood.

What they learned about their powers, they wrote them on the wall. The purpose of having built this edifice is for the future of the family: to further enhance the great powers that a divine child possesses because the previous ones believed that one day, the perfect divine child would be born; someone that can protect not just this kingdom but the whole world.

The first child of the gods believed that the power blessed upon the divine children would one day be perfected thus, he dedicated his life into writing everything he discovers about his power onto these walls. So did the divine children that followed after him.

It dawned on you that maybe you will never be able to write on this walls due to the fact that you are to live in another nation, and the fact that you have little to no control of the power that was passed to you. You suddenly felt useless as if unworthy of being born into the royal family, much more inheriting the gifts of divinity. 

To be able to write on this wall and contribute to the knowledge of the divine children is a mark that you have existed; a proof that you were of help to this era, and that the gods weren't wrong in choosing you.

You felt ashamed. Your palm clenched into a fist as you leaned against the wall. You felt pathetic. You were but a display, a shrine to be worshipped. What are the previous divine children saying as they look upon you from the underworld? Were their efforts to further enhance the gift all for nothing because no matter how much you try, you couldn't control it?

"(Y/n)?" A gentle voice called out. You turned to see Ajamu standing nearby. You immediately stood straight, regaining your composure.

"A-Ajamu!" You exclaimed. "The sun is yet to rise. What keeps you up at this hour?"

Ajamu walked closer. "I should ask the same to you," he said. As he stood before you, he held his hands out and held your cheeks, wiping away the tears with his thumb. You didn't even know you were crying. Perhaps your eyes have gone numb from the earlier tears you've shed.