Chapter Five: Chains of Heaven

You let out a sigh as your body dipped into the cold water of the oasis. "Ahh, nothing beats this feeling," you said. The water embraced your naked body like home. One of your arms rested by the edge, holding on the land to keep yourself in place while the other, the one that has the bracelet, remained underwater.

You didn't really know why you're keeping the bracelet away from Ajamu's sight. Perhaps you didn't want him to feel insufficient. He is enough. When it comes to safety, having him as your personal guard is more than enough. You wouldn't ask for more.

You knew how to wield some weapons but you've never had any serious combats before. you only had small duels with Ajamu which you won every time. You won not because you were strong enough to compare to him but because he always held back when he fought you.

Even if the thought of it pisses you, you both know that it's for the better. If Ajamu fought you with his full strength, you know you'd find yourself thrown to the opposite side of the room. Add a few broken bones to that, too. He isn't the army's supreme commander for no reason.

You are a strong willed woman with superior ideals. You are tough in all aspects except physically. That's one thing you hate to admit. That is why everyday, Ajamu finds himself training you to become mighty.

Despite knowing a few self defense techniques, Nefera does not let you go out alone. Even right now that you're bathing by the oasis, Ajamu is there. No, it's not what you think. The guy stands somewhere of good distance away from you to keep your privacy. You trust him and you know by heart that he is a man of respect. He masters self control and wouldn't in any way, violate you.

Your sister's overprotectiveness annoys you at times making you feel like a big baby but you know full well the reason behind it. You only live once. Literally. As the daughter of the gods, you're soul goes straight into the underworld to forever reside with Amara. That's the fate of the divine child. Once you get exposed to danger, that's the end for you. There are no second chances.

But every human is like that, you say? The case is different for you. There are many records that existed before you that the gods altered a person's life span. There are people that say they woke up from death because the gods exhaled life upon their bodies once more, allowing them a second chance at life.

It is indeed a fact that the gods measure you by your good deeds. If you're good deeds outdo your sins, they'd give you another chance to live so long as your loved ones would wish upon Chira. Aside from being the goddess of life, she is also known to be the deity of overflowing kindness. 

"You need not hide it from me," Ajamu broke you off your thoughts. Slowly, you shifted your weight on your feet that touched the sandy ground as you spun around to look at him. Only your shoulders up to your head is exposed; the rest of your body remained underwater.

Ajamu averted his gaze the moment you turned around. He leaned by a small tree a good distance away as he crossed his arms over his chest. "I thought you'd get disappointed," you said. Your gaze fell to the water's surface. 

Unexpectedly, Ajamu chuckled. You quickly looked back at him and at the small smile that formed on his lips. "Why would I?" He asked. "If anything, I'm proud of you. You should actually always bring that with you, you know? Who knows if something might happen to you and I'm not there."

Heaving a sigh, you replied, "Something just felt off this morning. I couldn't pin point what it was." Ajamu sat down and leaned his back towards the tree with a low thud. "Tell me about it," he said.

You once again turned around to your earlier position before you replied. "I was on my way out of my room when it caught my attention," you said. "Since then, I had the urge to bring it with me today. Nothing much." Or is it really nothing? You convinced yourself that it was just a random feeling and changed the topic.