Chapter Forty-Nine: Scorching Darkness

"The queen is missing!" was the last thing Gilgamesh heard before he found himself dashing towards the platform of the ziggurat.

Without pausing for a moment, he opened the Gate of Babylon. This was the fastest he ever brought Vimana out his whole life.

Accompanied by Enkidu, the two of them hopped on and flew away fast. Gilgamesh steered the Throne of the Heaven, unaware of which direction to go to and where to look for you.

Enkidu grabbed his friend's arm and pulled him. This was the first time Gilgamesh was ever worried. No matter how much he hid it beneath his anger, it didn't go unnoticed by his dear friend.

His whole life, Enkidu saw him as someone who was collected. Even more than that, someone who doesn't care about others. However, all those crumbled the moment you disappeared.

With a skill that only Enkidu possesses—the ability of the highest class—he is capable of detecting mana sources.

"Steer Vimana closer to the ground," Enkidu instructed. In that way, he could use his presence detection at close range. It could nullify an equal or lower rank of presence concealment.

However, he did not need to use his skill that much the moment they flew close to the ground. The queen's captors may have been able to hide themselves, but they were unable to cover up their tracks.

"There's a trail of pollens down on the ground," Enkidu said. "It leads towards Kutha."

Without another word, Gilgamesh steered Vimana towards Kutha. As they hovered above the city, Enkidu noticed that the pollens didn't stop there. 

He looked ahead towards the direction of where this trail may lead. To his terror, he realized it led to Mt. Ebih, home of the Ishtar Temple.

"Quick!" He exclaimed. "To Ishtar's Temple!"

Vimana zoomed towards the mountains. It was then that the two of them were able to make sense of things. The captors passed through Kutha, the home of the former priests and priestesses of Uruk—the worshippers of Ishtar.

They arrived at the temple in no time. To their surprise, ear-piercing screams could be heard from within and it is what welcomed them to the goddess's temple. It was the sound of utter chaos. 

Gilgamesh and Enkidu decided to leave Vimana up in the air. The two of them jumped down from a height that their enemies would be unable to reach the divine vehicle, rendering them unable to escape. 

Upon reaching the ground and running toward the temple, Gilgamesh ordered Enkidu to stay behind. "I will look for (y/n)," he said. "Stay here and make sure none of these people escape!"

With the rage that was boiling inside of him, Gilgamesh made sure to himself that he is going to make these people pay—twice the damage they have caused. But little did he know, what awaits him begs for three times more the punishment.

It was his first time entering this temple. Being so full of himself, he never found the need to worship a god. He in himself is divine, after all.

He was only halfway through the corridors when he was halted by black flames. His eyes widened, unable to fathom where those came from. Have the elders summoned Ereshkigal? He is yet to find out.

Before he could step into the flames, several people came out of a nearby chamber, running for their lives. He didn't bother to stop them as he was sure Enkidu would not let any of them escape. 

However, he grabbed one robed man and wrapped his hand around the man's throat. "Where is (y/n)!" Furious, he demanded more than he asked. 

His question was left unanswered as the man in his hands was too afraid to answer. Realizing he would just be wasting his time waiting for an answer, he threw the man on the ground and took things to himself.