Chapter Forty-One: The First Moon

A sigh, one after another. That was probably what Enkidu did most of the time this morning. It was a fine day, a few days after your enthronement and you couldn't help but be worried about Enkidu's current state.

"What is it?" You asked, rummaging through the tablets of daily reports regarding the capital. You have agreed with Gilgamesh that matters beyond the capital would be delivered to him while in the meantime, you'd handle the capital's.

You wanted to visit the outer cities first to see for yourself their current situations before taking matters into your own hands.

During the past few days, Enkidu has been your assistant of some sort, accompanying you wherever you went. Now, he stands by one corner of your embassy, sighing to his heart's content.

"I might be away for a while," he said, surprisingly direct to the point in contrast to how he was holding his thoughts back the whole morning. 

"Why so?" You asked, arranging the pile of stone tablets neatly on your table. 

"The king asked me to accompany him on a new expedition."

For a moment, you paused what you were doing to let Enkidu's statement sink in. You were told before that the two had often gone on long journeys which left the kingdom constantly unstable and in need of a queen.

If such journeys were common then, what difference would it make today? It seemed as if Enkidu was not happy at all. 

"I see no problem in that?" You said, glancing at him before tending back to your work. 

Enkidu pushed himself off the wall he was leaning on. "I don't know how long it will take til we get back," he said. "Once we're away, who would be there to assist you?"

The Chains of Heaven did his best to keep his tone of worry to a minimum. He didn't want you feeling paranoid of the surroundings but the ominous provocations during the night before your wedding still bothered him.

There were no reports of anything suspicious going on around the capital, neither was there another attempt at harming you but still, whoever that was was still out there.

Since the said incident, he has been doing his own work of searching for whoever that person may be but up until today, his efforts remained futile. The only way for him to catch them is to do so while they're on the act.

Even so, he can't just wait and see. The attacker may only be waiting for an opportunity as perfect as Enkidu heading out for a few moons to attack again. 

"Look, Enkidu," you said as you stood in front of him. Lost in thoughts, he didn't even realize that you were already in front of him.

"If you are worried to leave me, don't be," you continued. "I'll be fine on my own." You started walking back to your desk. "Besides, I am the Divine Child."

And that was exactly what he was worried for. He could only hope and pray that for the time he will be away, nothing bad to the point of you using your powers would happen.

***

"How long do you plan on being away?" Enkidu asked, losing a bit of his composure as he faced the king. 

Gilgamesh, taking a sip from his cup answered, "A few moons, maybe five, just like always." He could sense the tenseness of the aura that surrounded his dear friend and he knew something was wrong. "I've never seen you lose your cool like this before."

"What is there to worry too much about her?" Gilgamesh asked, knowing completely the thing—the person, rather—who's making Enkidu worry as if she's her husband.