Chapter Ten: Beyond the Desert

You stood in the main hall, in front of all those who've worked in the royal household. The maids, the court mages; they all looked at you with eyes brimming with tears. Last but not least, Ajamu and the queen were there too, witnessing your departure.

On the platform outside, stood Enkidu. Behind him rests a foreign type of aircraft. It looked like it came from thousands of years into the future. Or maybe it was an object of divinity, you'll never know. If Uruk possessed such futuristic material, you wouldn't know what else can they use to destroy your kingdom.

Your sister stood in front of you, holding your hands. "Will everything really be okay?" You asked. You never got a chance to be with her before you leave because she put out a statement that she'd rather be alone while she copes with the sadness. 

She loves the kingdom as much as she loves you. While she wanted you to stay, she needs to let you go, too. Maybe this is a chance for you to see the world. Maybe this is a chance for you to experience the freedom you never fully got while living with her. As a queen, she ought to put the nation before her personal interests.

"The decision is up to my sister if she'll accept your offer," Nefera said. "Whatever she decides, I'll respect, and I trust that it is for the best. If my sister chooses to join you, I will not hold her back. But promise me one thing."

"That is?" Enkidu asked.

"She stays safe."

Enkidu chuckled at her answer. "If safety is what you're looking for, Uruk can provide much more security than this place ever will. Anything else?"

"That is all. All I wish is that nothing bad happens to her and you treat her well. I'm trusting you."

"We may have uncommon ways but we stay true to our words. This I promise you," Enkidu responded. "In line with that and in exchange, the gates of Babylon shall always be open to you. Whether that be military or economical, we will never hesitate to help."

As Nefera recalled those words, she smiled. "We will be okay," she said. "And so will you." She placed a hand upon your cheek and carressed it. "Be free," she whispered in her mind. This is all so sudden. Your life is being turned upside down and there's nothing else you could do but watch things unfold.

Slowly, her hands slipped away from you, and you know it's time. You bowed, in front of the queen and your people. This was your final bow. "As long as you shall live, Al-Simr shall never perish, and suffering shall never prevail," Ajamu said. "Please take care."

"That's not true," your sister said. Both Ajamu and you looked at her in surprise. "Plowing the land, living life day by day, raising children... That is what leads to future prosperity." This land must learn to be independent. The divine child may truly bring blessing, but they won't always be here. This history might be repeated in the future. 

You didn't understand what she was saying. Was she... pushing you away?

"Trust in the gods, (y/n)," Nefera continued. "They will never leave you, and trust that this is their will." Right after she said that, the sky immediately brightened as the sun is about to appear. It's as if the heavens approve of what the queen had said.

Enkidu cleared his throat at the mark of dawn. You took a deep breath and gathered all your courage to turn your back to your people and face Enkidu. You began walking yet slow. You wanted to see if your sister would call you one last time, if she'll run to you and embrace you and beg you to stay. Only Ajamu followed close to escort you.

Unfortunately, you were already in front of Enkidu and none of what you wanted to happen took place. She didn't call out, she didn't embrace you. It made you all the more sad yet you knew she has a reason behind her actions, she always had.