Chapter Thirty-Seven: The Afterglow

The chamber was filled with the sound of ragged breathing and the smell of sex was fresh in the air. Gilgamesh slumped forward into you, his bare body pressing on top of yours as he refused to pull out of you. He could feel every twitch of your body as you try to calm down from your high.

His head lays on the bed beside yours, his breath cold against your sweaty neck. You let out whimpers as your body lightly convulsed from the previous act of intercourse.

Your mind was hazy as the tears continue to blur your vision. There was nothing more you wanted at the moment than to tuck yourself in and be embraced because you felt like your body was about to break apart. 

Gilgamesh pulled out and lifted himself off you with a grunt, landing on the space beside you. You turned sideways and curled beside him, unconsciously snuggling against his side.

Surprised, he lifted his head to see you sleeping against him, an image he never thought he'd see. He took a moment to take in the sight of a woman whose beauty was beyond anything he ever saw before, at this very second where someone who's so strong looks so fragile.

Smirking, he moved one of his arms and positioned your head so that you would lay against his shoulder as he held you close. He felt a wave of unfamiliar emotion wash over him as he basked in the afterglow.

Yet he still couldn't accept whatever it is pulling at his heartstrings and so once he was sure you were already deep into slumber, he moved away. He stood off the bed and wrapped a large piece of cloth around his body.

He grabbed the blanket at the end of the bed and pulled it over your lower half before he went out of his chamber towards the Royal Hall. He climbed up the set of stairs that lead to the throne and walked past it towards the open area at the heart of the ziggurat.

He sat by one of the stone benches near the pond and open a small gate of his treasury to have himself a goblet of wine. The air was peaceful and only the sound of cicadas hiding beneath leaves was the only thing he could hear. The banquet outside has ended and there were barely any people out on the streets.

His mind wandered back into previous voyages wherein he collected treasures from all around. He felt a wave of longing for an exploit as he comes to a decision that he will have one soon.

Meanwhile, as you were left alone in the king's large chambers, Enkidu quietly made his way in. He still worries about the incident last night and could not allow you to be left alone and unguarded.

He headed to the king's bed and once he saw you half-covered, he walked closer to pull the blanket upwards so that your whole body would be tucked beneath the sheets. He immediately stepped back when you suddenly moved.

You moved to lay on your back and slowly blinked your eyes open. Half consciously, you spotted Enkidu. He was about to leave but you called out his name in a low voice, barely a whisper but it was enough for him to stop in his tracks and turn around.

He looked at you, eyes half-lidded as you stared back at him. "You went to Al-Simr the other day, didn't you?" You asked, still in the trance of sleep.

Enkidu's eyes suddenly widened. He wondered how you knew when the only person who knows was Gilgamesh and he doubts Gil would've told you that.

Before he could answer, you spoke again. "How was it there?" You asked. "My sister? Ajamu?"

Enkidu sighed as he was a bit hesitant to answer but he replied, anyway. "Rest assure, your highness," he said. "All is well in Al-Simr."

A small smile formed on your lips. "I see," you said. "That's nice to hear." With glossy eyes, you glanced at him one last time before turning back to your side and giving in to sleep. 

Enkidu's mind rushed back to one of the conversations he had with Nefera a day ago.

"The wedding ceremony will be held tomorrow," Enkidu said. "I was wondering if you wanted to come. I can talk to my king to have him lend Vimana."

Nefera placed her cup of fruit juice down on the table. "I'd rather not," she replied. For a moment, Enkidu was puzzled.  He clearly sees in the way she spoke of you earlier that she definitely misses you but why would she turn down an offer to see you?

To remedy his confusion, he asked why. Nefera picked up the cup and took a sip before she answered. "If I were to see (y/n)," she said. "I would embrace her." 

Instead of putting the cup back on the table, Nefera rested it on the palm of her other hand. "I'd hold her so close and so tight..." she continued. "That I probably won't be able to let her go again."

She looked at Enkidu once more. "Please don't get the wrong idea," she said. "(Y/n) must've been able to adapt to her new home by now. I don't want to appear out of nowhere and knock down the walls she built."

Enkidu also found it odd that Nefera didn't hug you when you departed. He expected a more dramatic scene to unfold that day but what he got was quite the opposite and now he understood why.

***

The next day, you were woken up by the sound of birds chirping and the warmth of light that crawls through the chamber. You sheepishly rubbed your eyes and stretched your arms and legs only to feel soreness on your lower body.

You slowly sat up, careful not to hurt yourself any further as you held the blanket up in front of your chest. "You're awake," you turned your head towards the direction of the voice to see Gilgamesh enter his chamber.

His golden hair was wet and water drips from his head to his bare shoulders. Quickly, you stood off the bed, wrapping the blanket around your body as you were about to dash off despite your legs being sore.

Unfortunately, due to your current state, Gilgamesh was able to grab you by your wrist and pull you back. "Let go," you said, pulling your hand away from his grip but it was futile.

"Don't say that after enjoying what we did last night," he said, a familiar smirk making its way into his lips. 

"Whatever happened last night doesn't change anything," you said. "That was a one-time thing."

Gilgamesh pulled you rather harshly making you stumble towards him, landing on his chest. His big hand held both of your wrists together as his other one made its way to your lower back to pull you closer.

The next thing you knew, his lips crashed into yours. You were struggling to remove your wrists from his grip but you only ended up being pulled even closer to him as he deepens the kiss.

When he broke off, you pushed yourself away from him. "What are you doing?!" You asked.

"Why? Is there something wrong with that?" Gil replied, his smirk ever so slowly growing bigger and more arrogant. "You're my wife, after all."

"So what if I am?" You asked as feisty as ever. "I only ever married you for the sake of the crown just as much as you only want me for my body. You already got what you want and now it's my turn!" After all, having the marriage consummated last night meant that today was your coronation.