Chapter Forty: A Heroic Task

Standing and speaking in front of a large audience wasn't something you weren't used to. But at this moment, as you stand at the platform protruding from the ziggurat atop the huge staircase, you felt a wave of nervousness wash over.

This moment, unlike any other, you now officially carry the title and the duty of this land's queen. The crown that was perched upon your head shined glamorously as the last rays of the sun gazed upon it.

It has truly been a while since the public has seen the crown, and it has truly been a while since they had the love of a consort.

You were so prepared for this day, you played the words you wanted to say over and over again but now that you are here, you felt like your mind went black. Yet you didn't let it stop you. Instead, you're letting your heart speak.

"Collective strength can only be built on character," you started. "The heart of a nation is its citizenry. It is the people that make up the nation, and therefore, it cannot be strong when its citizens are frail."

The massive audience went silent to the point that the sound of a needle dropping would be heard. Behind you stood the people who have witnessed your coronation. Above all the gazes, you could feel King Lugalbanda's the most.

After all, he was the great king. He has big hopes for you just as much as he has high standards for his son. The two of you had plenty of conversations before but never had he ever asked you of your specific intentions as queen although there were conversations that hovered over the said topic.

"Show me a nation composed of strong individuals, of men and women healthy in mind and body; courteous, brave, industrious, self-reliant; purposeful in thought and in action; imbued with a profound sense of righteousness; with high social ideals and strong moral fiber.

And I will show you a great nation, one that will not be submerged, one that will emerge victorious from the trials and bitter strifes of a distracted world, a nation that will live forever, sharing the common task of advancing the welfare and promoting the happiness of mankind because a nation without smiles is a nation dead."

"What do you think it means to be queen—or a ruler, in general?" King Lugalbanda asked. It was a few nights prior to your coronation, when everyone was asleep and when only the sounds of cicadas resonate through the Royal Hall.

For a while, you stared at your reflection upon the pond he brought you to a few days ago. "To be a ruler is to build the nation—to help it live and flourish, not just for a day but for all the days that will come by—for as long as the people would live, even when it means the period of my rule is long over," you answered.

"Well, do you still think there is a way to redirect Uruk?" the great king asked. As much as he no longer gets in the way of his son's rule, he couldn't deny the fact that he longed for a kingdom as glorious as back when he had the crown.

"My heart is filled with hope that within me and within Gilgamesh, lies the power needed for building a great nation," you answered. This was to say you still have hopes in Gilgamesh as tyrannic as he may be.

"Your highest majesty," you continued. " This is a heroic task—to guide the people to what they should be: morally strong, virile, hard-working, refined, persevering.

"I want each and everyone to grow strong and resilient, unafraid of the raging trials, confident of its own strength," you continued. "If there is a will, then there is a way, and we cannot turn a blind eye to the opportunity of restoration."

"This oath constitutes the paramount of interest of my rule. I would stop at nothing to see it come to reality," you added. It is the greatest prize you can ask for in your life, after having been robbed away from your home to fulfill this duty for the safety of your lands.

"I call upon all the teachers, the scribes, the elders, the heads, and most especially..." you paused for a moment as you turned around to meet Gilgamesh's gaze. "...you." Turning back ahead, you continued, "...to be the vanguard of this crusade."

"We shall march forward, towards our destiny, and to claim our place under the sun," with that, you bowed down. Your speech was followed with a huge round of applause—of cheers that filled the entirety of the atmosphere.

***

By the time the sun has fallen and the night has blanketed over the earth, both Siduri and Enkidu accompanied you to your chambers. "That was a moving speech, you majesty," Siduri said as the three of you were walking down the hallway. 

When you turned to glance at her, she had her hands to your chest as she vividly replays your words in her head. "I couldn't agree more," Enkidu supported.

"It's not a biggie," you said. "It was, after all, my sole duty. That's what I've been called here for, is it not?" You turned to the opposite side to look at Enkidu with which he replied with a nod. 

"Are the people enjoying the banquet?" You asked. As planned, there was a feast taking place in front of the ziggurat much like last night. You would've wanted to join in with them longer but the High Priestess had already called you in.

"They seem to do so, your majesty," Siduri answered. "That is great, then," you replied.

Before you knew it, you were now standing in front of your chamber. "I think I shall call this a day," you said, turning around to face the two. 

It is at this moment that the fatigue from the past days has started to weigh on your shoulders. Surely, the same goes for these two.

"Goodnight, my queen," the two said so as they both lowered their heads to you.

"Goodnight," you replied, a tired smile evident on your features. "You two should get a rest too, okay? The cleanup can wait until tomorrow."

"Enkidu, please assist the High Priestess to her chamber as well," you said. With that, Enkidu nodded, receiving a "thank you" from you in return. They waited until you disappeared inside of your chamber before the two went on to head their ways.

As you sat down at the edge of your bed, you removed the crown. As it now rests by the palm of your hands, you took a better look at it, running your thumb along with every intricate detail.

With a sigh, you carefully placed it upon the cushions atop your bedside table. You know for a fact that it will rest there for a while, only to be worn on special occasions. 

Not to get you wrong, you loved the crown but in your opinion, it reeks the arrogance of privilege. It carried the title of nobility, one that can be misused and could lead to destruction rather than prosperity.

It was also a symbol that differs you from the general public. True, it is one that can distinguish differences but at the end of the day, you know you were human, too, and you were no different than the rest. And so you made it sure to only wear it on instances that require to do so. 

For a moment,  your mind flew back to Al-Simr. Back there, you could never reach this far. Truth be told, you were only a substitute for the queen although it was not something you dislike.

It was just that sometimes, in between crossroads, a thought crosses your mind—would you have been happier if you stayed for what you chose to leave behind?