Chapter Thirty-Eight: The Crown's Cost

"Your highness!" A voice exclaimed as you were preparing your clothes to go about for today. Turning around you saw Siduri, a little more tired than usual. Having realized that the bounded field was off, she quickly made her way inside.

"How are you feeling, your highness?" She asked as she scanned your body for any source of pain. You gave her a reassuring smile before answering, "I'm fine, Siduri. I should be asking you the same."

"Look at you, you've got dark circles under your eyes," you said, a little guilty. You know Siduri has been the busiest among everyone here in the ziggurat. She was in charge of looking after everything, making sure that all is well from your wedding to your coronation today.

"D-don't worry about me, your highness," she replied. "Nothing I can't handle."

You gave her a small pout. "But don't tire yourself out," you said, placing a hand on her shoulder. "We should go out after all this."

"Your highness?" Siduri asked, confirming what he heard. With a light chuckle, you answered. "Enkidu has always been the one accompanying me," you said. "You should come with me too."

For a moment, Siduri was about to decline but instead, she glanced down with a smile on her face before she replied, "Alright."

"There we go, that's more like it," you said, withdrawing your hand. "You should smile more often too—it looks great on you."

For the short while that you've been here, if there's one thing you started to know about Siduri, it's that she's a serious type of woman. You liked it, of course. She was very hands-on when it comes to her duties and she gets things done well.

But more than that, you think she deserves to listen up sometimes too, just as much as you need it too. Worry not, sooner or later things will start to lighten up and you'd be able to fully adjust and get used to everything. 

At least, that's what you hope. With the crown and the power that comes with it, at least you'd be able to hold more authority with the things you want to do.

Going back to the matter at hand, Siduri now accompanies you to the bathing chambers. "Siduri, wait," you said as you stopped in your tracks. "I'm pretty sure this isn't where the bathing chambers lead to."

You know full well that this hallway you're currently traversing doesn't lead to the bathing chambers but rather, to a place you were at not very long ago.

Siduri turns to look at you. "The king has ordered for you to use his personal bathing chambers from now on," she explains. 

Your mouth hung low as you rolled your eyes. "Well, how kind of him," you said sarcastically, earning you a chuckle from Siduri.

"Personally, I think it would be better for you too, your highness," Siduri said. "Everyone else in the ziggurat uses the one you were using before. Don't worry, I'll make sure to always accompany you at his chamber."

Her latter statement caused you to heave a sigh of relief. "Thank you, Siduri," you replied. With that, the two of you proceeded to make your way.

Fortunately for you, once you've arrived, Gilgamesh was no longer there. According to Siduri, he was already present at the Royal Hall.

The two of you entered the king's chamber where Siduri led you to another doorway you haven't noticed before. Upon passing by the bed, you quickly averted your gaze as it makes you sick remembering the events of last night.

You gasped in surprise the moment you've set foot on the said chamber. It was just as big as the king's room, if not even bigger. To call it a chamber was an understatement as it was more of a hall. 

The two of you walked down a big space where several large pillars stood. The pool was located on the farther end. Above it, was a space in the ceiling that allows the sun's natural light to pass.

The pool was circular and its waters gleamed like crystal upon the sun's grace. To the side of it, there was a small living space covered in thin white curtains that you could easily look through. 

There were plants by the walls and overhead to give shade from the heat. There was even a couch and a table with fruits upon it. There is literally a lot more to this ziggurat than meets the eye.

You stood by the edge of the pool and although hesitant, you rid yourself of the fabrics that wrapped your body and handed them over to Siduri before you took a step in.

The water was surprisingly warmer and a lot more clearer. You hated to admit it but this is a lot better than the one you used before.

While you were there and as Siduri kept you company, she took this time to give you a brief knowledge of Mesopotamia's coronation rites. The ceremony requires a sacred place like any other. In this case, it's the ziggurat.

Next was secrecy. Unlike in Al-Simr where the honored one would be crowned in public, in Uruk, there's a certain chamber in the ziggurat meant only for this ceremony. Only a few people are allowed to watch because such an occasion is sacred in Uruk.

You asked Siduri if the elders would still be part of it but luckily, their participation is not necessary. Only King Lugalbanda, Gilgamesh, Siduri, and Enkidu would be there later.

You were quite relieved to know that because of your uncomfortability with the elders. They were hard to reach was all you can say about them.

The next part of the ceremony comes to the ablution—ceremonial washings performed to avert evil, give life and strength, and for rebirth to the soon-to-be-crowned person. Apparently, it is the complete removal of all that is sinful and unclean and belongs to his former life.

"Gilgamesh should be subject to another ablution," you muttered under your breath. From what you know he only became the way he is right now when he was crowned. Prior to that, he was a just boy.

Finally, after all those, comes the coronation. As told by Siduri, King Lugalbanda would be the main host of this event as he will oversee it until the end for he has the authority to hand you the crown.

Once all those were done and the ceremony was deemed successful, the mass would be waiting outside. That was the chance for you to vow and speak of your promises to the people. 

In all honesty, you don't know what else would happen after that. Achieving the crown meant fulfilling what you were here for. As you do your best try to make yourself a picture of the future, no image comes to mind.

With everything that's been happening—yesterday's events and more that is to happen today, you could finally feel your exhaustion getting a toll on you. But you know you weren't in the position to complain or demand rest. Like you've said, the sooner these get done, the better.

You could only imagine the fatigue of the ziggurat's servants, Siduri, and Enkidu in preparing everything. All that comes to your mind at the moment were ways on how you could properly reward them for their hard work.

You're starting to feel the stress and weight of the responsibilities you are to take. All of a sudden, your mind flew back to your sister. 

You're now beginning to understand what kind of life she lives. It was hard, yes. Draining, even but never once have you heard her complain of it.

As you sunk yourself deeper into the waters, you could only wish you'll soon develop the type of resilience she has, along with her unending grace.