Chapter Thirteen: Ten Dawns

The day went on with you not leaving your chamber just as expected. You appreciated Siduri's kind gestures of bringing you food every once in a while knowing you might be hungry. But tonight, Siduri stood in front of your doorway.

Unable to enter, she spoke her business. "My lady, the king has requested your presence in the dining hall," she said. Your eyes rolled back as you turned over your bed, now lying on your back.

"Can't you just bring my dinner over here?" You asked, followed by a groan. Half of you wanted to stay but half of you wanted to go, too. Somehow, you started thinking maybe the king isn't as bad as he seems. Perhaps earlier he was just in a bad mood?

But no. You sensed that he was a kind of person like you who is unafraid of speaking their minds. He meant everything he said earlier just as much as you meant yours.

Thinking about it, you didn't want to act any more bratty than you have. You weren't usually like this but everything that's been happening is pushing you off your patience. 

You know you can't forever hole up in this room for you have responsibilities to tend to, and a nation to carry upon your shoulders. You also have some things to discuss with the king. What kind of a queen would you be if you let personal feelings be in the way of your rule?

You sighed as you threw your legs off the edge of the bed, sitting there for a moment. "I'll be out shortly," you said, informing Siduri of your decision. You pushed yourself off and ran your fingers several times on your hair to untangle the mess that have formed.

Soon, you brushed the curtain away with ease, knowing that the bounded field has no effects on you. Siduri pushed herself off the wall the moment you got out. "This way, my lady," she said as she motioned you to follow her. 

You went up a set of staircases before you passed the throne room and into the dining hall where a long table was placed in. As you were nearing the table, you were able to make out Gilgamesh's outline sitting on one end. His back was facing you. The dim lighting provided by the torches cast a shadow on him making a silhouette of his armor.

Before going closer, Siduri stopped for a moment. "Where would you like to sit, my lady?" She asked. Without hesitation, you answered. "On the other end, as far as possible from the king." Siduri gave a nod before she escorted you.

As you passed Gilgamesh, you felt shivers run up your spine at the fact that his eyes were glued on your back as you walked your way towards the other end. It made you want to run away from the gaze and immediately sit down.

Gilgamesh watched as your body naturally moved with grace. Your hips ever so gently swayed as you took every step away from him. With every stride, your skirt embraces your legs a bit more, highlighting your backside. Your clothes clung to your curves perfectly, giving Gil an outline of your body. 

Finally, you turned around to face him as you sat on the chair. There is a good distance between you and him thanks to the table that separated the two of you. Food were immediately served to you not long after you sat.

You kept your eyes on the meals that are being placed in front of you rather than the blonde man ahead. You'd rather not repeat the situation earlier for you did not want to experience another wave of headache. But as you see, just merely seeing this king is enough to give you a migraine.

At least the meal in front of you looked pleasing. There is a plate containing four pieces of meat still attached to a rib bone, its sauce pooling around it. There were onion chives sprinkled over the meat.

On the sides were strips of green beans and three slices of lemon to add to the taste.

Beside the plate is a small bowl of soup with more green beans and several pieces of vegetables.

On another plate, there are three pieces of fish meat accompanied with some lettuces and a lemon. Next to it was another plate containing three pieces of flatbread.

You felt your stomach begin to grumble as you stared at the food. Your tongue was already imagining its taste.

Last but not least, Siduri took the honor of pouring ale into a golden goblet. It shined despite the dim lighting of the room.

You were enthralled by the meal that you forgot that a certain blonde has his eyes on you the whole time. He looked at you intently while sipping from his goblet.

The torches on the wall cast a glow on you that showcased a face that shines even in the dark. Gil would be lying if he said you weren't pretty.

To Gil, food consists of eighty percent appearance and twenty percent taste. In bed, he doesn't mind a girl's personality as long as she is beautiful.

"Please enjoy the meal, my lady," Siduri said. You took it as a sign to start eating.

Though hesitant at first, you reached out to pick the meat, holding it by the bone. Carefully, you brought it to your mouth, taking a small bite to give it a taste.

Despite its appearance, the meat was soft. Accompanied by its sauce, you felt your taste buds danced in awe. "So juicy!" You thought.

Unbeknownst to you, Siduri took pleasure in your delight. She is, after all, the one in charge of dinner duty tonight.

You hummed internally every time you took a bite. You never had mutton this good before.

As you were enjoying the food, Gilgamesh cleared his throat. The gleam in your eyes quickly disappeared as the silence of the hall was disturbed.

You were already doing a good job of ignoring the king; you almost forgot he was there. Yet now, you knew by his actions that he wants you to pay attention to him. You already had a feeling this is going nowhere good.

You placed the mutton's bone on a separate plate and you slowly lifted your gaze to meet his.

"How is it?" Gilgamesh asked. "Does Uruk cuisine suit your palate?"

"I would've enjoyed this better had you not requested for me," you answered. "State your business." You wanted to get this over with immediately.

"Tomorrow morning, Enkidu will have you toured around the kingdom" he replied. "It is only just for the future queen to meet her people."

"I know what to do," you answered. "And I will do it whenever I want."

You saw Gilgamesh's lip curve up into a smirk. You hated the way he does that. His smirk says that everything and everyone is below him.

"Ten dawns from now, a ceremony shall be held in the ziggurat to commemorate our marriage," he said. "Afterwards, you shall be crowned queen and recognized by the people."

Ten days is not enough for you to be able to adjust. As much as you wished you could quickly make yourself belong here, your stubbornness is getting the better of you.

"I object," you said. You were about to speak more when Gilgamesh cut in.

"You must be forgetting that I'm the king," he said. "I command everything so I'll do as I please regardless of your opinion."

You bit your lip. Oh, how you wanted to speak back! Yet you know you should be the one in control of your emotions, not the other way around.

You reached for the goblet and took a sip. The fluid that ran down your throat somehow helped in keeping your mouth shut.

Gilgamesh's smirk grew knowing that you decided to swallow your resistance. Just as he knew, sooner or later, you'd be under his fingers.

But that was not the case. Tonight, you let him win. It is useless to involve yourself in an argument you have no chance of winning. After all, whatever you'll say wouldn't change his decision one bit.

Once you downed the ale, you stood. "If there is nothing else to talk about, I shall take my leave," you said.