Chapter Four: Al-Simr

The cold breeze of the night couldn't compare to the heat that was radiating during the day. Up above, millions of stars are visible across the vast black sky. Each one carrying different stories brought upon by heroes that graced the land. At one point in the middle of nowhere, a group of travelers has gathered around a bonfire. Like stars on earth, each carried a story from their own lands.

The tales spoken by drunk men didn't amuse the King of Heroes one bit. He listened with finely tuned ears but has not heard of a story great enough to match him nor surpass his greatness. He simply enjoyed the warmth of the flame. If it weren't for that, he wouldn't have any other reason to stay with this obnoxious bunch.

Contradict to what Gil is doing, Enkidu was all ears to each and every man that told their stories. At first, he didn't pay attention and barely cared but as more and more men speak, the more interesting the conversation became. He glanced at a man who was intently listening to the others as well. He wore an armor of gold almost similar to the one Gil has. For once, he wondered where could that man be from. By his clothes, Enkidu knew he came from a great empire or so.

 As their eyes met, Enkidu was able to see that the man's eyes held a story too great to be kept. "Hey! How about you?" Another voice chimed in. The man in gold armor turned away from Enkidu and towards the other traveler that called him. "I haven't seen you before." The others glanced at him from head to toe, taking in his glory.

"Judging from your clothes, you're from Al-Simr?" Another person asked. "Al-Simr?" Enkidu as well, asked in his thoughts. He hasn't heard of that land before. Probably because he and Gil haven't travel towards this region yet.

The man cleared his throat before he answered. "Ahh, yes. I came from that land," he replied, pride hinting in his tone. Gasps followed right after his confirmation. Enkidu looked around to see the surprised faces of the others. Some of them leaned in while the others moved closer to gather near the man. 

The once tense atmosphere became cheerful as they started asking him questions. Gilgamesh remained silent although he felt a hint of annoyance at the fact that the people crowded over some man who claims that he came from a certain land Gil never heard of when he, the King of Heroes, is right there sitting with them.

"Mongrels," he whispered as he clicked his tongue. Could there be another place as prosperous as Uruk? Even if such a place existed, he knows it's just a fake and it can never be as great as his empire. Enkidu remained silent as he tried to listen clearly despite the mixed voices of the people that gathered around the man.

One question after another, what does Al-Simr have to get the interest of a bunch of travelers who haven't probably been there before? Even Enkidu is starting to get curious. "Settle down, settle down," the man in gold armor calmly said as he waved his hands to dismiss the questions thrown. "I'd be answering your questions but please one at a time."

"Is it true that your land is ruled by a woman?" A female merchant asked. The man smiled before he answered, "Yes, that's right." The woman gasped. "My what an ideal! I wish my land has the same high perception of women," she replied. "We women are barely allowed to participate in politics."

"It is one of the queen and her sister's objectives: women empowerment," the man said. He was about to tell more when someone chimed in.

"Tell us about the queen, then," another traveler asked. "Is she a tyrannical ruler?"

The man shook his head. "Queen Nefera is the opposite of tyrannic," he said. "She goes down to the people to ask them how they're doing herself. She's a very caring and kind queen yet she does not lose sight of her leadership and her political duties."