Chapter Six: People of the Desert

There is no use in politely asking if the person being questioned wouldn't answer. His patience got thinner with every second that passed. He counted backward from five to one and the moment he reached the last number, he unleashed the chains of heaven without hesitation. The chains shoot forward, directly towards the queen with unmatched speed. Enkidu didn't want things to reach this point but judging from the situation, he doesn't have any choice but to put a little violence.

Just when the tip of his chains were a few meters away from the queen, a woman jumped into the scene. She skillfully deflected Enkidu's chains. She was fast. Enkidu couldn't even see a glimpse of her face while she was dancing against his attacks. He kept shooting. He opened more portals and released more chains in an attempt to hold her back.

Unfortunately, his efforts were futile yet he continued to fight, sending more chains flying her way. She's putting up quite an entertainment for him and deep inside, he wished that this woman is the person he was looking for. 

For a split second, he closed all portals and above him, he opened a bigger one. Just as he was about to release a larger chain, she swiftly threw her scythe forward. It spun towards him faster than he expected. Before he could dodge, it immediately hit the portal above him, breaking it to pieces. 

He looked towards the woman in front of him. Her body bent forward as she placed her hands on her knee, catching her breathe. Her hair fell on either side of her face and that's when Enkidu knew he found what he is looking for. The queen behind her stood up, gripping the armrests of her throne, a worried look plastered upon her face. 

Enkidu smirked, "Not bad." He earned a glare from the princess in return. She slowly straightened her back and regained her posture. "What's your business with me?" She asked. Their eyes met and hers burned of fiery intensity enough to make you look away. 

"Shouldn't you offer me a bit of hospitality before we proceed?" Enkidu taunted.

The princess scoffed, placing her hands on her hips. "You barged into our kingdom without any hint of respect and now you're going to ask us for hospitality?!" She asked, her words lacked fear. "If you were just a hungry traveller passing by, you could've just asked politely and we'll probably even take you in!"

"Princess!" A voice interrupted the princess's anger. A man ran from behind Enkidu and towards the princess. He was about to wrap an arm around her figure when she raised her hand to stop him. Such gesture brought a smirk upon Enkidu's lips.

The man turned his head and their eyes met. His eyes widened at the sight of Enkidu. "You?" He asked. The princess glanced at Enkidu before looking back at the man. "You know him?" She asked.

"Yes—" he said, immediately receiving a glare in return. "I mean no!" 

"Who is this person, Ajamu?!" She asked. Enkidu noticed the queen pressing a few fingers to her temples before sitting back down on her throne.

"Allow me to introduce myself," Enkidu spoke, breaking the small quarrel that's starting to arise between the two. He took a few steps forward before he continued. "My name is Enkidu, I came from the great nation of Uruk and I carry a message from the king."

The princess rolled her eyes. "Great! You could act politely," she said sarcastically. "Congratulations, although I wish you've done that sooner." 

"What a rude princess you are."

"Coming from you?"

"Enough!" The queen said. Her words were calm yet it was filled with command as it reached every corner of the room. "(Y/n), are you okay?" She asked.

"I was supposed to be if this man didn't show up out of nowhere and barged in, almost killing you!" The princess answered back. Enkidu kept an unfazed expression but deep inside, amusement was stirring in his system.