Chapter Thirty-Two: Ominous Provocations

In the blink of an eye, it was already the morning before the wedding. At tomorrow's sunset, you'll be married to the person you liked least. By midnight, there will be a banquet thrown all throughout the capital in celebration of your union.

You were in your chamber fixing your bed and taking out clothes you'll wear for today as Siduri discusses with you the flow of events tomorrow. You asked her about the banquet and told her to have it open for everyone, even those living out of the capital. She gave a nod, taking note of your request.

By tonight, you'll have the final fitting of your dress to make sure that all is perfect. Tomorrow, around noon, your preparations shall start. Various servants would tend to you to get you ready for the big occasion.

Siduri went on even as you were already heading to the bathing chambers. Your whole day tomorrow is tightly packed and you had no time to go on your morning strolls with Enkidu. Instead, you'll have to greet and welcome the notable guests coming from all around Uruk and from the places beyond the capital.

You paid little attention to the rest of what she's saying as you're starting to feel a little overwhelmed. Before you reach the bathing chambers, one of the ziggurat's guards called for the High Priestess. It seemed like Gilgamesh is requesting her presence.

"Go ahead," you said when you saw her a bit hesitant, glancing from the guard to you. "I can handle myself." You gave her a reassuring smile to tell her that all will be well. She bowed and excused herself before making her way to the Royal Hall.

Silence has finally sunk at the moment you were left alone and you gave out a sigh. You carried on making your way towards the bathing chambers and as you arrived, you noticed you weren't alone. By the other end of the pool was a woman. Her drenched brown hair clung to her shoulder as she wipes herself dry.

Once she was dressed, she turned, eyes stumbling upon you and you knew exactly who she was. Her eyes turned sharp as her stare turned into a glare. "Well, well," she said, resting a hand upon her hips. "Who do we have here?"

Her tone was malicious and provoking, and getting yourself in an argument this early is the last thing that you wanted. You simply blinked before looking away as you made your way towards the pool. She walked forward to meet you halfway.

"Hello there, princess," she said, emphasizing the last word as she spits it out. "Hello, Shinaku," you said, finally glancing sideways to meet her eyes. It was masked in poison and an intent to get rid of you.

"What brings you here today?" You asked as calmly as you can as you were reminded that Gilgamesh wasn't the only person you disliked. "You mean, what brought me here last night?" She answered. "Well, of course, it's the king! Who else?"

"That shouldn't be something new to you anymore. After all, I am the one the king really wants and the only one who can satiate his thirst..." she started moving and walked in circles around you. Her virulent eyes examining you up and down.

She walked closer towards you from behind. "...And that is always how things here will be," she whispered, lips dangerously close to your ear. "You can marry him but you will never be his woman."

You couldn't hold yourself back much longer as you turned around to face her. "You know what? It's completely okay. Don't brag about it as if trying to make me jealous of your place here in the ziggurat because I will never be," you said. 

"After all, I was here to be a queen, not Gilgamesh's slut," you continued. You could see the malice in her eyes turn to distress but before she could reply, you added, "And you know what? I'd rather bathe somewhere else than bathe in the same waters a whore bathed in."