Chapter Two: Amiable Ruler

In the glory of his temple, Gilgamesh sat by one of the big windows of the ziggurat. He looked in the distance, admiring the entirety of his kingdom enclosed in massive walls. Rows upon rows of concrete houses laid upon his vision for as far as the barriers extend. He has done a great job of being a king to maintain the first civilization all the others to follow would look upon for inspiration.

Despite the greatness brought upon Uruk by their mighty king, it was no secret to his majesty that his people despised him, if not afraid of him. During his childhood, he loved the gods instead of humanity, complying with what the gods intend for him to do. He used to be an ideal king who was praised and lauded by his infatuated subjects. Enkidu did not even understand the gods' reason in creating him to punish such an amiable ruler. Gilgamesh was a perfect being designed as the Wedge of Heaven.

Yet despite being an ultimate creature of divinity, he too was vulnerable to change. As the years pass by, one problem came to existence: he does not submit to the gods even if he does respect them. As he grew into a young man, he practiced absolutism, oppression, duress, levies, and the utmost decadence from self-interest. He knew the citizens of Uruk lamented the change and even the gods were perplexed at the extent of his transformation.

Despite being a tyrannical king and exercising power in a cruel way, he protected Uruk. He purged the evils of the world to protect his kingdom. He may not show any affection or remorse for his people but that was the path he needed to take in order to preserve the natural future of humanity.

He hated the gods and had humanity hate him so he could remove himself as far from the equation as possible. In that way, he could truly be the neutral entity that simply observes and judges what's necessary. This was a path only he could envision.

"What could his majesty be pondering about to be looking deeply into the distance?" Enkidu's gentle voice filled the silence of the half-open space as he drew closer to the king. The lion sitting comfortably beside Gilgamesh's seat moved aside to give way for the Chains of Heaven to stand beside his friend.

The king rested his face upon his hands as he shifted to a more comfortable position being driven off from his train of thoughts. Beside his chair was a small table. On top of it were a gold glass and a golden pitcher that contained the finest of wines. Gilgamesh gave his friend a side glance, noticing a few stone tablets in hand. "Your reports?" He asked, already unamused by what he's about to hear.

Enkidu did not bother to read what was written out loud for he knew the king didn't want to hear a long blabber about the state of his kingdom. Instead, what Enkidu's about to say is the summary of all the reports given the moment the two of them returned to Uruk.

"The kingdom is too dependent upon you," He started. "Every time we march out for a trip to far lands, the economy... stumbles downhill." Uruk was a prosperous land thanks to their king. Gilgamesh together with his beloved friend, Enkidu travels around to different places collecting the treasures of the world, making Gil the richest king on Earth.

Because of their adventures, they often leave Uruk unattended, giving way to small economic disrupts while they're out. Although able to get back on track when the two men return, Enkidu is not happy with the way the land clings to its king. He sees Uruk as an empty shell if not for Gilgamesh.

The Chains of Heaven has a proposed solution in mind to maintain the greatness of the land even without the king's presence and that is the main thing he's about to say today. Sensing this, Gilgamesh asked, "What do you have in mind?" Considering the fact that he treats Enkidu as an equal, he allows him to aid him in ruling the land. He trusts Enkidu's wisdom and pays attention to what he has to say.

"I think it's time..." Enkidu replied although he stopped to check if the king is truly interested. Gilgamesh lifted his chin off his hand as he turned to look at Enkidu, showing his friend that he's listening. "... to look for... a partner," Enkidu continued, not saying his thoughts directly.

Gilgamesh laughed at his friend's idea. He knew exactly what Enkidu wanted to say. He found it funny considering the fact that he hasn't met a woman competent enough to lead by his side. It was Enkidu's turn to look at Gil unamused. "You bed different women every night, why don't you pick one from them?" He said, putting a stop to the king's laughter.

As Gilgamesh's laughter died down, he once again turned to Enkidu. "If a woman is to assist me in ruling the kingdom, I want a queen," he said, emphasizing the last word. "Not a slut." He didn't care if someone overheard what he said. Specifically, the woman he slept with last night. He was more than sure the said person has not left the ziggurat yet. After all, even if she heard it, there's nothing she can do. Gilgamesh owns everything... and everyone.

Enkidu shook his head in response. "Is there any woman in Uruk you find suitable to be queen?" He asked despite knowing the answer to his own question. He wanted to find an opening to another idea he is to suggest.

Gilgamesh sighed before he turned again to answer. "Uruk is a land with great people," he said. "But none are notable enough to rule alongside me." He knows what he wants and that's a queen; someone born of nobility and not a mongrel to be crowned then labeled a ruler.

As if being able to read the king's desires, a corner of Enkidu's lips curved up. Gilgamesh growled in annoyance at the smirk plastered upon his friend's face. "Just say what you want already!" He said, tone getting serious and irritated.

Clearing his throat, Enkidu spoke, "I know you've heard of the first queen to lead an empire by herself." Personally, the story they heard one night while camping out on a desert quite far from Uruk intrigued him.

"What of it?" Gilgamesh asked. "Do you want us to go and take her from her kingdom?" He laughed at the stupid statement that slipped off his mouth. Standing up, he continued, "Do you think a fine queen would leave her land behind just to get married to a king? Although it should be of great honor to her to be married to me." Yet no matter how great of a woman she is, she's but a mongrel in front of Gil.

"Perhaps her people are too infatuated on her that they excessively flex her," Gil continued. "Or maybe their standards are too low that such a mongrel already seems great to them," he added. "She's fake." Gilgamesh's arrogance overflows his words as he paced back and forth the open space.

Enkidu shook his head as he watched Gil. "It's not the queen that caught my interest," he said. "It's the princess." Gil abruptly stopped at Enkidu's statement. Enkidu knew ahead that Gil would dislike the idea of the mentioned queen. He also knows that she will most likely decline the offer. Like what Gil said, a fine queen wouldn't leave her land for a matter like marriage even if the king she'd wed to is Gilgamesh. She might even be powerless when it comes to magic; a person who's wise but not strong.

The princess was different. She, in Enkidu's wise opinions, would be perfect for the king. She's exactly what the king desires; a woman born of nobility that grew up in a royal family. Someone who is shaped to become a queen who'll one day take care of Uruk. Besides, what is the point of her staying there when she isn't even next in line to the throne?

She isn't an ordinary princess, that's for sure. Enkidu overheard that she was the so-called Divine Child and that became the root of his interest towards her despite not having had met her at all. She was notable enough to leave such a lasting impression on him. If in any case, she has a connection with the gods, she would be more than perfect for the role. She might even be equal to the king, too.

Enkidu is more than willing to travel once more to bring the princess to Uruk. All that's left is Gilgamesh's approval.