Chapter Sixteen: Cold Waters

You woke up to the light that shone behind your eyelids. As you slowly opened your eyes, you were greeted by the morning's flash of light illuminating every corner of your chamber. Its warmth kisses your face good morning as you pull yourself away from sleep. This was the first time you were greeted by sunlight the moment your eyes first open. 

Slowly, you lifted your upper body, bringing you into a sitting position. Your blanket slides down your shoulders, exposing your soft skin into the warm air. With eyelids still heavy, you let out a yawn. Much the same as your lids, you also felt a certain heaviness below your eyes and you certainly know the reason for it. 

You shook your head in an attempt to rid of the sounds that haunted your ear last night before drifting to sleep. You swear you know you weren't the only one who heard those cries of pleasure. Perhaps even the entirety of those who reside in this ziggurat have. You couldn't help but wonder if that situation happens all the time. Nevertheless, you couldn't care less but you care about yourself and your sleep schedules.

Before standing up to get on with your day, you remembered Enkidu offering to assist you in a tour around Uruk. You wouldn't want yourself to appear in front of the people looking like this: haggard and with dark circle under your eyes. You don't look convincing nor queen-like at all. You needed at least one night of good sleep to make yourself look presentable once more.

SIghing, you stood up and made your way towards your storage chests. You bent down to get yourself a piece of cloth you'd use to wipe yourself dry and a change of clothes. You craved a good bath right now. 

"Your highness!" You heard a soft feminine voice. Turning around, you saw a pair of feet below the curtains of your doorway. "Breakfast is waiting." You pushed yourself off the ground and headed towards the doorway.

Swiping the curtain aside, you were greeted by Siduri's lovely smile. It was so contagious, it made your lips curve up as well. "Good morning, princess!" She greeted. 

"G-good morning!" You replied, a little flustered. At the back of your head though, you remembered how Ajamu's greetings used to make your morning a lot better. You kind of couldn't help yourself but wish that Siduri was him.

On mornings when you wake up early, you'd first have Ajamu accompany you to the oasis to take a bath. Afterward, you'll have breakfast with the queen. On days you wake up a little later, you'd first have breakfast with Nefera; bathing comes after that.

"My lady?" Siduri asked, bringing you back from your thoughts. You shook your head quickly before looking at her. "I'd like to bathe first before having breakfast," you said.

"Are you not hungry yet, my queen?" She asks, her eyes gleam with a hint of worry. You gave her a reassuring smile before you answered, "I'm fine."

She took a step back to give way for you as you walked out of your chamber. "This way," she said as she led the way. You followed closely behind her. 

A few minutes of walking led you into a chamber that contains a big rectangular pool. Above it was an open space for a ceiling, allowing the sunlight to reflect upon the waters. For a moment, you wondered how deep this pool was. 

"Excuse me as I fetch some of the necessities you might need," Siduri said. 

"Wait," you spoke stopping her in her tracks. She turned around to hum in response. "How deep is this water?'"

"Nothing you'd drown in, my queen," she answered. It was now her turn to give you a reassuring smile.

"I see," you replied, turning your back from her. She takes it as a sign to leave. Once you no longer felt her presence within the chamber, you slowly stripped yourself off your clothes. Before removing the final pieces of fabric, though, you turned around towards the entrance to check if someone is there. Luckily, there wasn't.