Chapter Fifty: Overwhelming Force

"What do you mean there was not a baby inside?!" Gilgamesh exclaimed. "She was pregnant, everyone knew! Everyone saw!"

He paced around your chamber as the court doctors tried to explain what they couldn't understand.

"Please believe us, your Majesty," one of the doctors said. "When her highness arrived, her belly was already empty."

"We did our best to look for any signs of life inside her but there just wasn't any anymore," another agreed.

During the span of your pregnancy, these doctors were the ones who monitored your every condition. Needless to say, they have enough knowledge of you and your baby's health.

At the same time, they were also mages and through magecraft, they were able to detect your child's heartbeat. Unfortunately, they could not detect a single beat anymore.

This incident also rendered them shocked and hopeless.

Gil remembered how the robed man disappeared without a trace. There was no blood or ashes on the floor. If the same case happened to your baby, how come you bled?

"We truly do not understand, your Majesty," one answered. "But through our analysis, we assumed that it was due to the sudden disappearance of the baby that Her Highness's womb was not able to accommodate the sudden change.

Hopeless, Gilgamesh ordered the doctors to get out and to leave you and him alone. He looked at your resting figure, unconscious and unaware of the tragedy that has happened.

In his chest, he could feel something stirring within his heart—a foreign emotion, one he never felt before. It was suffocating and it rendered his ability to put the blame on others.

Could he blame you? Perhaps not. You made the necessary actions to protect yourself, after all. The bounded field you put up was one of them.

Could he blame Enkidu? Perhaps not. He stayed with you the whole time and went on nightly patrols around the ziggurat. 

So where? Where was the flaw in the walls of defense that surrounded you?

Indeed, he didn't know. And certainly, he couldn't blame himself either.

There was a small thought at the back of his mind that fights to take over. An infinitesimal thought he could not let reach the surface. 

After all, he never knew other feelings besides pride... greed... and pleasure. So how could he understand?

How could he comprehend the thought that maybe, if it was he who was more careful, none of this may have happened?

He couldn't admit—he'll never admit.

So with fists clenched hard, he left your chamber. He stormed through the halls of his big and mighty temple that couldn't protect you until he reached the Royal Hall.

What welcomed him was a sight he would've been joyous about. His enemies were on the floor kneeling with divine chains wrapped around their bodies as they squirm around attempting to escape but all those efforts were miserably futile. 

Such a scene would've already made him bend over in laughter at the pathetic sight of useless mongrels begging on his feet for mercy. 

But today wasn't one of those days.

Usually, he would've loved to see these mongrels pitifully grab on any chance to stay alive amidst his projectiles. He loves to watch his enemies take upon a slow death.