XXI

Gaia and Ulrich toasted to everybody below them and the people clapped cheerfully

Gaia and Ulrich toasted to everybody below them and the people clapped cheerfully. Their friends seemed pretty happy about the news.

But Isaiah was far from happy.

"What. The actual fuck." He swore.

"What?" I didn't understand why he was so mad.

He didn't answer and walked straight up to Hollis, Cecelia, and their dates. I followed him.

"Did you know?" Isaiah demanded angrily.

"No. None of us knew." Hollis seemed just as surprised. It looked like Cecelia didn't like the news either.

"This is completely irrational. It cannot happen." He ranted.

"And what do you suppose we do?" Cecelia asked.

Isaiah's temper almost made him blow up. He stalked off and disappeared into the crowd.

I still didn't understand why they were all so angry. But then I put myself in their position. If my mom, who'd been single for centuries, was getting married without any warning, I'd be pretty pissed at first too.

"So he's going to be your stepfather?" I asked.

"Conceivably." Hollis said before excusing herself. Her date took off in the opposite direction.

"Congrats, Cece!" Lily came up out of nowhere with Simon beside her. But Cecelia just drank more of her wine.

"I need more wine."

She took Lily's glass and downed it. Then she took Simon's.

"Okay, let's get drunk tonight!" Lily was oblivious to the impact of the news and led us all to the bar in another room. I was sixteen, and so was Lily, but the bartender didn't seem to care.

So I decided to get drunk before shit hit the fan.

.•*•.

As far as mistakes had gone, drinking at a fancy vampire party in the dead of night wasn't as problematic as I thought it would be.

It took ten shots of vodka for Lily to get slightly buzzed while it only took me one or two. I was brought up by my parents to never drink alcohol until I was old enough, and even then, I was only taught to have wine.

But I didn't stop at two. I think I had five or six before I started feeling weird. It turned out I was a laughing drunk.

Cecelia had the same insane tolerance. I watched her down ten shots in a row and nothing happened to her. Could vampires even get drunk?

"All this wine is doing is making me thirsty." Lily pouted.

"Here," I pushed my water towards her but she shook her head.