XII

It was morning when Olive's eyes fluttered open without warning

It was morning when Olive's eyes fluttered open without warning. Jenny and I had slept over in case she woke up and started screaming that a vampire had attacked her. The doctors and nurses would definitely admit her to a psych ward.

"What happened? What's going on?" She asked drowsily and blinked a few times so her vision could adjust. "Why am I in the hospital?"

"You don't remember?" I asked, while exchanging a look with Jenny, who had been knitting mittens beside me.

"No," Olive immediately sat up and started to freak out, "I didn't get into a car crash, did I? I swear I wasn't drinking and driving or texting and driving or—"

"You didn't get into a car crash. You fell down the gazebo steps and hit your head." I lied smoothly, having had all night to prepare something realistic. It felt wrong not telling my sister the whole story but it was better if she didn't find out that vampires existed.

"Oh God, that must've been so embarrassing." She cringed. "I can't believe I don't remember that. Well, actually, I'm kind of happy I don't."

"It wasn't that bad," Jenny added.

"You didn't tell Mom and Dad, did you?" She tensed up and I shook my head.

"No, I don't want them to find out. They'd freak."

"Let's just agree never to speak about this ever again."

I couldn't agree more. I let out an internal sigh of relief that she believed me.

Until she touched the bandage that was covering the puncture wounds on her neck.

"What's on my neck?"

"You got a nasty cut mark from the fall. They said not to take it off for another two weeks so it won't get infected."

"Oh," she didn't seem to care, "I'm starving, what's for lunch?"

"I'll go get you something from the cafeteria." I stood up and Jenny followed.

"Okay. I'm going to take a nap."

We closed the door and walked down the hall before talking honestly.

"Why doesn't she remember anything? Do you think she's faking it?" Except I knew when my own sister lied. When we were little, she'd steal my clothes and makeup and lie about it.

"Caius told me that sometimes the bite is so traumatic that people block it out from their memories. He said it was very common, like that's how it works."

I should be happy that Olive was fine, but what if I hadn't gotten there in time? Would it have been too late? I was too angry to think clearly.

"We need to do something about them. For real."

"We will. I promise."

We arrived at the hospital cafeteria and I grabbed the first thing I saw, which happened to be a chicken wrap. While I was at it, I ordered chai to sip on. This whole thing was making me stressed to the point where my blood pressure was out of wack.