XVII

Having no phone sucked

Having no phone sucked. It actually sucked. It was like my entire life had been deleted in a matter of seconds. I still had my bedroom computer so I could always reach everyone by email but that was such a hassle.

My parents were working in the morning so when someone rang the doorbell, I was the one who had to get it. I just prayed it wasn't a damn vampire.

I peeked through the peep hole and couldn't help but smile. It was a vampire but one of the very few I actually liked.

"Guess who's back?" Dexter smiled when I opened the door.

"I thought you died!"

"I thought you died. You didn't answer my calls."

"Oh, yeah. My parents took my phone away again."

"Seriously? First your car and now your phone?" He shook his head. "When will your parents let you do what you want?"

"I stopped asking that question years ago." I let him in and we went into my room. I closed the door and sat on my bed with Dexter next to me. "So tell me everything! What happened in Mexico?"

"Not much really. Got there and Riya did most of the work. She actually found him but he told us to leave him alone or he'd kill us." He gulped.

"He really said that?" I couldn't believe they'd found him in the first place. Maybe Mexico was smaller than I thought.

"Well that wasn't the first thing he said. He actually started off by saying he was surprised to see us but then Riya started pushing and then I started pushing. . . and he got pretty mad at us and told us to stay away."

"He didn't say anything else?"

"No. We lost him in the crowd. It was so hot and there were so many people out." Dexter sighed.

I tried to hide my disappointment.

"Then I guess that's that. Did you tell Jenny yet?"

"Yeah, she seemed pretty sad. We should do something fun to distract her."

As soon as he'd transferred to our school, Caius had been one of our good friends. He was always so nice to me and everyone else. . . it would be weird without him around—and he was the only mediator between us and Gaia's evil children.

But Jenny would feel the loss the most. She and Caius clicked right away, and I knew she really liked him. They were practically lovers and he was almost her first boyfriend.

"We really should," I nodded, "We could go camping? Or have a movie night?"

"Yeah, definitely something next weekend." He couldn't sit still as his foot was swinging back and forth. "We all need something to remind us that we're just normal kids before all this crap started."

"So what else has been going on?" I changed topics. He seemed more nervous than usual.

"I decided to tell my parents. About what I am." Dexter blurted and I covered my mouth.