XXIV

"Someone come help me with this!" Dexter started freaking out while Jenny and I were busy in the kitchen

"Wait a sec!" Jenny said.

"It burns! My face burns!" He wailed.

"Don't be so dramatic." I sighed.

"Can you pass the honey?" She asked and I reached across the counter for the bottle.

"Here you go. How many tablespoons of yogurt do I add again?"

"Three. Oh, and don't forget to take out the lemon."

I took out the last of the ingredients and added them to the bowl.

"Hello? My face?" Dexter repeated.

I wet a towel under the faucet and threw it at him just to make him stop whining. "Here,"

He wiped his face vigorously to get the face mask off. "I thought spa nights were supposed to be relaxing."

"They are. You're the exception." I said.

"I thought vampires couldn't feel pain." Jenny added.

"There must be something in this." I looked at the face mask kit and scanned the ingredients. "Oh, it has coconut lime verbana, a chemical derivative of vervain." Now it all made sense.

"You vervained me?"

"Accidentally. Besides, you're fine now."

"I can't believe you two." He shook his head. "I'm never doing this again."

"Fine. More for us." I laughed.

"Sorry, Dex," Jenny apologized.

We finished mixing the ingredients and started putting the white masks on our faces. It did sting a little but that meant it was working.

"So soothing," Jenny said and I agreed. Dexter made a sound and we laughed again. Too bad he couldn't enjoy it, too. "How long do we leave it on for?"

"Eight minutes."

"What's next?" Dexter asked impatiently.

We didn't really have a concrete schedule to spa night, just a list of things we could do.

"Nails or. . . nails. Take your pick." As in manicure versus pedicure, but Dexter didn't want either.

"When are we gonna do something fun?"

"Oh, come on, I'll paint your nails!" Jenny offered.

"Jenny can paint one hand and I can paint the other." I suggested.

"No hands." He said immediately. "But I guess you could do my toes."

"Yay!" Jenny and I high-fived each other. She brought out her box of nail polish and we started going through the colors.