IV

The scent of warm cookies filled Jenny's house as her grandmother put out a fresh batch on the kitchen table

"Thank you so much, they look delicious," I smiled and took one while everyone else did the same. Her cookies were legendary; one time I got a B on an essay I worked really hard on but after having a couple, I completely forgot about it.

"Of course, dear, it's no problem at all. It's been awhile since Jenny's had any friends over. I was beginning to think she lost them all." She ruffled her granddaughter's hair lovingly.

"Grandma, we have homework to do," Jenny laughed.

"Oh, alright. I'll be upstairs if you need me."

When she was out of earshot, we got down to business.

"So Hollis told me last night that the only reason Gaia's in town is because she wants Caius to rejoin her family. Apparently he's her favorite son and she's not happy that he's been trying this new lifestyle." Jenny explained.

"But what does that have anything to do with us? Why are they killing everyone?" Dexter asked as he took two more cookies.

"They're entitled brats. They kill for fun." Tate shrugged.

"She also wants me to persuade Caius to leave me. I told her I'd think about it." Knowing her, there was no way she'd stop loving him, not even if Gaia threatened to kill her.

"What does he want?" I asked.

"I don't know. We haven't really talked."

"I saw him talking with Gaia yesterday." Dexter piped up. "Maybe she's trying to convince him herself."

"So how do we get rid of them?" Kevin changed the subject and sounded malicious. I guessed Cecelia really did a number on him.

"We kill them, one by one." Tate said. He threw a duffle bag on the table and we looked inside to see a plethora of wooden weapons to go around, ranging from swords to crossbows.

"Where did you get all of these?"

"I made them."

"Why don't we just trap them all in one room and set it on fire?" I asked. "Seems easier than splitting them up."

"Because they'll know exactly what we're planning. Trust me, we have to separate them."

No one objected to the vampire slayer and we moved forward with the plan. Tate grabbed a crossbow from the bag and aimed it at the window for some reason, "Isaiah, Leif, and Cecelia are the first to go. Then we focus on Caius and Hollis."

"What about Gaia?"

"She's last."

"I thought we weren't gonna kill Caius or Hollis." Jenny objected quietly.

"We kill one, we kill them all."

"But they didn't do anything wrong—"

"If we let them live, how do we know they won't try to revive them? You don't know them like I do, you don't know the terrible things that they've done."