XV

It was a gloomy day with a fifty percent chance of rain

It was a gloomy day with a fifty percent chance of rain. A few days had passed since that night and things seemed to have calmed done.

Lily and I hung out at the diner after school, where I was giving her some helpful tips to act more human and cope with her new lifestyle.

"So I can eat food?"

"Yeah, you'll just end up spitting it back out since you don't really need to eat. Dexter usually goes to the bathroom to do that after we eat." He told me once that it felt like eating paper. Even his favorite foods—pizza, burgers, fries—didn't appeal to him anymore.

"Does every vampire do that?"

"Well, you know Dexter, he loves to eat. But I think he eats out of habit. Caius used to lace his food with blood to force himself to eat in public. I'm not sure what Tate does." I explained and she listened carefully. "You don't have to do any of that though, it just looks less suspicious if you're in public."

"Can we pretend to share something? It's—It's the weirdest feeling, I just don't want to eat anything." She confessed.

"Of course."

"Cool. So what about blood? How much do I really need?"

"For a newblood, you need at least a gallon a day but when you get older, a gallon might last you a week. Dexter and Tate get their blood from the hospital." They were the good ones. "But you could also get it from the vein."

She shuttered, "Biting into someone just. . . freaks me out a little, so I don't think that'll be a problem."

"Trust me, you'll want to." I remember all of the crazy nights we'd had to restrain Dexter. The insatiable thirst in his eyes scared me the most. "Once you feed from someone, two things could happen. One is that the trauma could wipe their memory."

The waitress came by and took our order. I asked for a vanilla milkshake and onion rings to "share" with Lily.

"And the second?" She asked quietly.

"The second's that they remember. In that case, you'd have to kill them."

"There's no way I'm killing anybody." She shook her head frantically.

"It's okay, we'll cross that bridge when we get there."

"I still have so many questions." Lily fidgeted with the bangles on her wrist and had trouble keeping still. Her senses must've been off the wall right now.

"I wish Dexter were here."

"Where is he?"

"He's in Mexico tracking Caius down. He should be coming back today or tomorrow."

"Caius Smith? He's in my gym class."

"Yeah. He left without telling anyone and we just want to know why."