XXVII

It'd been more than a year since they left

It'd been more than a year since they left. The town's curfew had finally been lifted as they assumed the killers were gone but were still on the look out just in case. My grades also got better and my parents let me have my phone and car back a few months ago.

Everything was back to normal.

Dexter, Jenny and I were walking to the front parking lot right after school. It was our last day being juniors and we planned to have another relaxing spa night. Even though Dexter was scarred from our face masks.

"Can you believe we're gonna be seniors in the fall?" Jenny asked with excitement.

"No. I'm kind of happy and scared and sad and excited at the same time." Dexter said.

"Happy and excited I get, but why scared and sad? We just have another year until college and we can finally be on our own."

I personally couldn't wait to experience college. It meant freedom from my parents and all the bad memories of my town. I planned to move far away to the east coast and stay there. In fact, I already got accepted into a few colleges early decision.

"Yeah but that's also the time our friendship's gonna die."

"It won't die." Jenny corrected. "Just because we're going to do different things doesn't mean we'll never visit each other."

"How can we visit each other if we're thousands of miles apart? I mean, Bri's going to the east coast, you're staying here, and I'm going with Tate to who knows where." Dexter ranted. Since his parents already knew about everything, they were okay with him becoming a slayer.

Jenny didn't know what was in her future but she knew she had to stay close to her grandma.

"We'll call." I said.

"Everyday?"

"Everyday." Jenny nodded. "Hey, any news on Lily or Kevin?"

None of us knew their fates. They'd been on the run the whole time, along with all the others in Ulrich's army.

Lily's parents called a lot in the beginning. They were extremely saddened by her disappearance and wouldn't stop until they found her. At least fifty other parents were like that, too, but they had all gradually accepted that their children were gone.

I heard Gaia paid the town and reporters from leaking the disappearances to national news. She also bribed them to say the cause was most likely drugs. If a story like that ever got out it would raise too many eyebrows.

"Tate and Gill say they're getting close." Dexter said but didn't sound too invested.

"Do Isaiah and Gaia have any leads?"

Isaiah and I kept in touch through emails but his responses were very slow. I assumed he was still terrible with technology but a slow response once a month was better than none.