V

Isaiah's body was incredibly heavy, or maybe I just needed to work out more

Isaiah's body was incredibly heavy, or maybe I just needed to work out more. Either way, it took me a long time to get his body down into the vampire prison underneath Tate's house. I kept accidentally hitting the back of his head against the stairs, which I sort of felt bad for but not really.

"You'll probably wake up with a bunch of bruises on your head so sorry about that. But if I'm being honest, it's kind of your fault you're so heavy. Like seriously, did you fill your pants with rocks?" I rambled to myself.

According to Tate, the first vampires could never be killed but they could be rendered unconscious for an indefinite amount of time as long as a wooden stake was still in their heart. He knew from experience since he'd managed to stake two of the devil children for two centuries.

I used all of my strength to drag his body in the cell. Now all I had to do was lock the door.

Except when I was just about to stand, Isaiah's eyes shot open and he ripped the stake from his chest.

"Holy crap—"

I ran for my life and frantically pulled the cell door shut to prevent him from escaping.

Good job, I thought sarcastically, you just locked yourself in a cage with a lethal vampire.

"I thought you were the smart one." Isaiah mocked.

"You were dead!" I protested.

"You missed my heart, genius."

"I'm not the one who staked you."

I backed up so there was at least ten feet between us. He ignored my body language and came towards me.

"Stay over there."

"Or what?"

Tate had given me emergency vervain, a rare herb that burned vampires, before we split up.

"Or I'll vervain you."

"You're bluffing."

"I'm not." I did have some. . . but I put it down somewhere upstairs.

"I don't have the strength anyways," he shrugged and sat back down. Luckily for me, he was weakened by the wood that had been stuck in his chest.

How was I going to get myself out of this situation? They were depending on me to help ambush Gaia and I had no way of communicating with anyone.

After a minute of silence, I found it surprising that he wasn't more angry.

"So you're not mad we tried to kill you?"

"Mad? I'm not mad. . . I'm angry." His threatening tone said everything. "When I get out of here and drain the blood of the first person I see, I'm coming for you first."

Crap.

I swallowed and he smirked.

"You are afraid of me."