XI

A loud noise coming from downstairs tore me away from studying

A loud noise coming from downstairs tore me away from studying. Mom and Dad left for date night thirty minutes ago, so who else would be home? Better yet, who else would sneak into my house uninvited?

One word: vampire.

The house was dead silent as I grabbed the closest weapon I could find—which happened to be a broom—and tiptoed down the stairs and into the hallway. I swore to God, why couldn't vampires just leave me alone and stop invading my privacy, it was getting really annoying having to be on guard every second of every day—

"Boo."

"Ohmygod!" I shrieked and dropped the broom on the hardwood floor. It clattered loudly as my heartbeat pulsed in my ears.

Olive doubled-over and burst out laughing, "I got you good!"

"I thought you were a—" I cut myself off, almost saying the v word. Luckily, she didn't seem to notice.

"I'm sorry, it's just so funny to scare you. I can't believe you grabbed a broom as your weapon!" Despite her nearly giving me a heart attack, it had been months since I'd last seen her so I'd grown to miss her presence. My older sister went to college in Washington so she rarely came home. My parents drove up there sometimes if she forgot something too big to ship.

After I took some deep breaths to calm down, I picked the broom back up and leaned it on the wall, "What are you doing back? Finals aren't over for another month."

"I know but I just wanted to see you before I left for South America."

"Right. You're doing study abroad for a semester." I was a little sad I wouldn't be able to see her over the summer since it was the only time she was ever free. We got along better than most siblings but I tended to take her for granted.

"Are you busy now? Let's go out!"

"Mom and Dad took my car away."

"They're still doing that? They suck all the fun out of everything." She shook her head disapprovingly. Like me, she'd had a few of her luxuries taken away, but her grades were almost always perfect so it hadn't happened that often.

"Tell me about it. It's like they've gotten worse but how is that possible."

"Well, we can just uber there I guess." Olive suggested and booked a driver immediately. "At least you still have your phone."

"I'm sure that's the next thing to go." Along with my food, my bed, the rest of what little dignity I had left. . .

.•*•.

The Town Square was buzzing with life as we stepped onto the sidewalk and looked around. Tiny lights crawled up the lampposts and soft jazz music played in the streets near the bookstore. We decided to eat at the diner and then hit some local boutiques later before they closed.