XXIII

Isaiah's POV

Isaiah's POV

As I presumed, my mother wanted a spring wedding.

She'd been tied up in phone calls ever since the engagement was announced, so I was forced to overhear her conversations about all the ridiculous, meticulous details involving invitations, guests, gifts, dress codes, shoes, and whatever bloody rubbish there was to obsess over.

It also meant that I needed something to distract myself.

I decided to bother Cecelia, where she was lounging infront of the television set and simultaneously typing on her cellular device. I couldn't fathom modern day technology, nevertheless focus on multiple tasks at once. I tried composing an electronic letter but I couldn't figure out how to send it.

"Have you seen our siblings?"

"Leif is exploring and Hollis is running errands." Our siblings were growing ever so predictable.

"I see, and you are playing around with these vile contraptions."

"Technology isn't that hard to figure out. It's actually quite simple, for a smart person." She teased. "Right, Simon?"

Simon was also present, sitting in the velvet armchair. He'd been working for us ever since we'd settled here and was handpicked by Gaia herself. She usually had good taste, but for some reason, his blood just wasn't as appealing as before.

"He has no right to reply. He grew up with technology." I objected.

"Yes, but he still had to learn."

"It's not that complicated." Simon added. "It's easy once you get the hang of it."

"Excuse me, you must be at least a thousand years old to have an opinion in this conversation." I snapped.

"He has a point." She sighed then showed me her cellular device. It hurt my eyes, with all of those bright colors. "I know you can answer a call but can you send me a text?"

"Of course I can." I reached for my phone but had no idea where I'd left it. I rushed up to my room but couldn't find it anywhere. It was such a tiny thing that I misplaced it at least once a day.

I rushed back downstairs empty-handed.

"You lost it, didn't you?" She asked. "Wasn't it the fifth one Gaia bought for you?"

"Something like that."

I'd told her it was a waste of money but she wanted to have a way to contact each of us. So far, Cecelia was the only one who was addicted to it. Hollis kept it on her for communication reasons while Leif used it for prank calls.

But I hated it.

"You'll have to learn eventually. This is the way it is now. You'd be seen as a pariah if you didn't have a phone."