IX

Since I got to my advanced music theory class early instead of right after the tardy bell, I spent the extra time to do some AP calculus homework

Since I got to my advanced music theory class early instead of right after the tardy bell, I spent the extra time to do some AP calculus homework. Someone tapped my shoulder and I turned around, annoyed that my deep concentration had been broken.

"Greetings, fellow classmate." Isaiah grinned slyly.

I had to be in a dream. . .

But nope, he was still sitting there with that stupid smirk on his face and giving me such a fake innocent look that I just wanted to slap it off of him, my God

"What are you doing here?" I demanded. School was the one place that made me feel normal and sane but now, my sanctuary was compromised.

"Getting a formal education, what does it look like I'm doing?" He leaned back in his seat and propped his feet up on the desk next to mine.

"If you try to kill me, I'll scream."

"Did I threaten you? Did I do anything that would hurt you?"

"No—"

"Then relax, darling. For an optimist, you're awfully pessimistic."

"I never said I was an optimist. And you can't blame me." I muttered.

"Hey Brielle, who's your new friend?" Sofie, a girl who had made almost no effort to talk to me before, forced herself into our conversation.

Of course, now that Isaiah was with me, she decided to notice me. Her two friends turned around too and didn't make it very subtle that they were eyeing him.

"We're not friends." I corrected.

Sofie raised her eyebrow but before I could elaborate, Isaiah opened his stupid mouth and beat me to it.

"We're more than friends."

No. Just no.

Sofie and her friends glared at me with envy.

"He's lying. We're more like acquaintances. Actually, not even that." I said quickly but nobody believed me.

Thankfully, the bell rang and Mrs. Weaver clapped her hands to get everyone's attention. Sofie and her friends turned around, but not before she winked at Isaiah. What the hell did anybody see in him? If they knew the real him, they'd be running for the hills.

"It looks like we have a new student joining us today." Mrs. Weaver looked around and Isaiah raised his hand, smiling politely at her. "Why don't you tell us a little about yourself so we can get to know you?"

"It would be my pleasure. My name's Isaiah, I'm originally from Greece and I love to travel."

"Do you play any instruments, Isaiah?" Mrs. Weaver was clearly smitten by his polite tone since no modern day high school student displayed even an ounce of respect.