II

Hi dear reader! To celebrate the huge milestone of 12k followers, I am publishing a new story (this time about vampires) with updates every Friday

Hi dear reader! To celebrate the huge milestone of 12k followers, I am publishing a new story (this time about vampires) with updates every Friday. Thank you for reading and please vote and comment as it lets me know how I'm doing:)

A knock at the front door compelled me out of my intense study session. I stood up from my desk and opened the door, only to find a singular envelope. No return address or anything, just my name in elegantly scrawled calligraphy.

As soon as I read the short message inscribed, my phone started ringing in my pocket.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Bri," my best friend Jenny greeted on the other end, "Did you get an invitation to Gaia's soirée?"

"Yeah, I just opened it." I couldn't believe it, the oldest and most dangerous vampire family in history had just invited me into their lair for dancing and cocktails. They must be out of their mind if they thought we could just forget everything they'd done to us.

"Do you think you're gonna go? It's tonight."

"I don't know." I threw the envelope in the trash.

"Yeah, it's a little short notice."

That was the least of our problems, "Are you?"

Gaia was known as the mother of vampires not only because she was the first to be created, but because of the vampire children she sired. There was Hollis, Cecelia, Leif, and the absolute worst of them all: Isaiah.

Isaiah killed our math teacher and a bunch of other people with no remorse—not to mention all of the innocent people his siblings had killed. Who knew what they were going to do next?

"I think it's a good idea, we have to make peace with them. And Hollis wants to talk to me."

The only thing I knew about Hollis was that she was one of the more civil ones in Gaia's hoard, but that didn't mean I trusted her to be alone with my best friend.

I climbed onto my bed and sat with my legs crossed, "Did Caius or Dexter get one?" Dexter was another best friend of mine and the one to complete our trio.

"No,"

"That's weird. Are you going to invite them?"

"I don't know, I think I'll invite Dexter. Caius and I aren't really talking."

Now that was a surprise, considering that they were so deeply in love just a week ago—according to her. Something must've happened.

"Okay. Well, I'll call you later on tonight so we can carpool."

"Sounds good, see you then." I hung up but then wished I didn't.

What on earth was I going to wear to this thing? It wasn't like I had an endless supply of ball gowns in my closet. Besides, who hosted formal balls anyway?