XXVI

Only my friends could free us now

Gaia told me this crypt was impossible to escape. It was built to hold a vampire as long as they could survive without blood. She also told me that many vampires died in here and I really didn't want to think about all the bodies that had been here.

Except before I could really freak out, a small door in the wall opened and Riya was on the other side.

She had a gun on Gaia.

"Your presence is requested, Brielle,"

"By who?" But did I really have to ask, I knew who wanted me. "What about Gaia?" She hadn't even tried to escape when Riya opened the door. Maybe she knew she'd be shot at again.

"She isn't needed."

I looked back at the vampire mother. Even though I didn't really know her that well, I felt bad for abandoning her.

"I'll be fine. Go see what he wants."

I walked out but Riya didn't close the door. She shot Gaia three times in the heart and she immediately stopped moving. The bullets couldn't kill her but I still had a heart attack from the deafening noise.

Two vampires came in and carried her out.

"Did you have to shoot her?"

"She'll be fine."

She grabbed my arm and pushed me forward. We walked up the stone stairs and to the gigantic ballroom used for dancing.

Dexter, Jenny and Isaiah were already there with guns aimed at their heads, having been caught outside. I guessed the plan didn't go very well.

To no one's surprise, Ulrich was on the top of the staircase and descending slowly. Behind him followed his army, who were also looking down at me from the railing. More of my classmates were there than I remembered and I couldn't believe they were all vampires now.

"I was hoping you would all stop by at some point." He stopped infront of the four of us; five including an incapacitated Gaia. "We have much to discuss."

"What did you do with them?" Isaiah demanded.

"There's no need to worry, they are in a safe place." He paused before adding. "A deep, dark place."

"Fuck you." Isaiah seethed but was in no place to fight him. Even if he were the strongest one there, he couldn't take on a swarm of vampires.

Ulrich ignored him and focused on the three of us.

"Apologies for the use of force. We didn't want you to overreact. I stand by what I said before, I want us to be friends." He put an arm around Lily but she wasn't my friend. A friend wouldn't hurt me.