XIII

It was Friday morning and there was still radio silence on Dexter's end so I decided to give him a call as I entered the school

It was Friday morning and there was still radio silence on Dexter's end so I decided to give him a call as I entered the school. He was close to missing a week of school, which was fine, but he couldn't afford to be out for more than that.

Dexter picked up on the third ring.

"Hey, Bri," he sounded tired.

"Hey, Dexter, how's Mexico?"

"Hot. Crowded. And I found out that I know absolutely no Spanish. Three years of Spanish isn't enough, Bri, not even close!"

I laughed, "You know the basics, don't you?"

"Yeah but I'm not fluent! There's a big difference."

"Then you should've paid more attention in class. How's traveling with Riya?" Dexter and Riya weren't exactly the closest of friends so it must've been pretty awkward.

"Well, it could always be worse. That's what I've been telling myself."

"True. Are you any closer to finding Caius?"

"She keeps saying she knows where he is but she's been running us in circles." He sighed. "And she always leaves to go do something. Like, we came here to do this thing together and she just leaves for hours."

"You should follow her and see where she goes."

There was a pause on the other side. "Why didn't I think of that?"

"You seriously didn't? What have you been doing while she's gone?"

"Sitting in the shade. Did you know that Mexico's sun is so freaking strong? At home I could handle it but not here."

I got to my locker and grabbed my AP history and English books.

"Yeah, but you only have to endure it for another couple months. Then you can go lie in the sun for hours."

Since he was a newblood, his skin was very sensitive to the sun. He could technically burn alive after ten minutes if he didn't find shade. When he was new to being a vampire, he got some nasty burns during track practice.

"How are things back at home base?" He asked.

"Not good. Jenny found Gina Ferguson in the janitor's closet drained of blood. I'll give you one guess as to who killed her."

"Isaiah." He said immediately. "Jenny told me what happened to your sister. He's gonna pay, Bri."

"He is. I'm just happy she survived and forgot the whole night." I couldn't even begin to describe the anger I had whenever I thought about him. But at least Olive was safe, she was on a long plane ride halfway to South America by now.

"Are you going to do anything about Gina? Her brother's probably devasted right now."

"What can I do? I'm not Tate, I can't kill him or hurt him, and I'm not you, either. If I confront him, he could kill me so easily." I'd told him worse but that was before we were at war with these people. I didn't want to end up like Gina, either.