XVI

Tate randomly called me one day asking if I wanted to meet his slayer friend on the weekend

Tate randomly called me one day asking if I wanted to meet his slayer friend on the weekend. I said yes because I was curious to see who it was and also to see if he actually had friends. He was always alone and had never introduced us to anyone he knew.

Both of them were waiting outside the diner. Tate was wearing his usual black leather jacket while the guy next to him was wearing a brown trench coat and white scarf. He was older, probably in his late thirties.

I couldn't tell if he was a vampire or human but by the way he dressed, I assumed vampire.

"Brielle, this is Gill," Tate introduced.

"Nice to meet you," I smiled politely and we walked inside the diner. Gill ordered a cup of black coffee and once he paid for it, we left and walked around downtown.

"Can I ask you a vampire question?" I asked Gill.

"Of course,"

"If you don't need coffee, why do you drink it?"

"He gets crabby without it." Tate muttered.

"I have to have my coffee. Even if it goes right through me. Call it a habit of mine." He shrugged. "So you're pretty comfortable around vampires, aren't you?"

"Yeah. One of my best friends was bitten by one so I had to help him out with that."

"Dexter, was it?" I nodded. "Tate was telling me you still don't know who bit him."

"I think he gave up trying to find out. We reached so many dead ends."

"I could help. Business is slow." Gill offered.

"You would? I can talk to Dexter and see if he'd be up for it." I remembered seeing him so depressed after deciding to give up. He'd worked so tirelessly trying to piece together what happened that night to no avail. Maybe this would cheer him up a bit.

"Someone's following us." Tate muttered quietly.

"Shall we do the honors?" Gill asked.

Their eyes met and they nodded silently to each other. Tate took off in one direction and Gill started down another. I just stood there and watched, too confused to follow.

Then without warning, Gill threw a stake at something behind me and it flew inches from my ear. The vampire realized his mistake and immediately tried to run. Just as the vampire was about to climb up the stairs to the roof, Tate appeared out of nowhere and blocked his escape. He launched a mini stake at his foot and he hissed as it stapled him in place.

"Why are you following us?" Gill demanded.

"I—I wasn't going to kill you, I swear!"

Nobody moved.

I studied the vampire. He was in his twenties, probably a young one from the look of his clothes. As he bent down to take out the stake from his foot, Tate launched another stake and it hit him in the other foot.