VIII

The sun had just come up when Dexter and Riya were almost ready to leave

The sun had just come up when Dexter and Riya were almost ready to leave. We had reached out to Riya and she surprisingly agreed to go but she made it pretty clear that she only wanted Caius back. It didn't make us friends.

"Do you even know where he is?" I asked.

"He's in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico." Riya said immediately and I raised an eyebrow.

"How do you know?"

"When we were together, he would always fantasize about moving there. He told me he wanted to live in a cultural city with an abundance of art and poetry."

"So why didn't he go? What happened?"

"Gaia happened. She didn't want to part with her favorite son so she banished the idea from his head. She's also the reason why Caius left me," she said bitterly.

I didn't really have a reason to hate Riya but I only did because she was jealous of Jenny and treated her maliciously. She wasn't a bad vampire, she was probably the most misunderstood out of all of us.

Dexter finished packing his suitcase and finally walked down the stairs.

"It's a long shot but we're gonna try." He said. "I was gonna tell Jenny but I didn't wanna get her hopes up."

"If he doesn't want to come back then there's nothing we can do about it." Although he really should at least say goodbye since he had some unresolved business here. I didn't want to spend another night listening to Jenny cry over the phone.

"We'll try to be back Tuesday night. I already told my parents I was flying to a game so they shouldn't be too worried if I'm not home by then." Dexter gave me a hug while Riya crossed her arms and waited by the door.

"Good luck, keep me updated. And stay safe."

"I'll call you as soon as we find him."

He gave me one last wave and headed out to Riya's car. Hopefully they wouldn't fight the whole way there.

.•*•.

Lily and I were browsing for books at Smith's on the weekend before going to study at the diner. Both of us loved reading and it had been a long three weeks since I'd read anything good.

"I really want a thriller but I don't want to pay twenty bucks for a hardcover," Lily was saying.

"Let's look in the dollar bin. Sometimes they have good stuff." If I'd learned anything, it was that sometimes the old and smelly books had better stories than the loud and flashy ones on display.

We walked over to the front of the store where they kept the cheap paperbacks. Sometimes there were hidden gems but most of them were used and barely held together.