XVIII

When I saw Lily the next day at school, she was sitting at Sofie's table with Cecelia

She was wearing the halter top and low rise jeans we'd bought at the mall a week ago. But the weirdest thing was that her hair wasn't in her usual pigtails, it was down and straightened. I'd only ever seen her hair down during sleepovers but it was usually a mess. Her acne had also cleared up and when she smiled, her braces were gone. She looked like a completely different person.

Lily soon attracted the attention of almost every male around. Becoming a vampire really did change your life.

I sat down with Jenny and Dexter and started digging into my lunch.

"I can't believe what happened to Tate." Jenny was saying. "I'm really happy you didn't get hurt, Dex,"

"Ulrich almost had me but Gill fought him off. I almost peed my pants, I thought I was gonna die right there." Dexter said. "I need a vacation."

"You just took one. To Mexico." Jenny reminded.

"Oh yeah. Well, I need another one."

"Are we still on for tonight?" I asked. We were going to have a movie night at Jenny's after school and bake some cookies.

"Yeah, I went to the market yesterday and bought everything." Jenny nodded.

"Does that mean we can actually make my famous cookies?" Dexter asked excitedly.

"By cookies you mean just adding a bunch of random things together?" I laughed. "What did you call it?"

"Crappy cookies."

"Let's just try to get through the semester. No more drama." Jenny prayed.

"No more drama." Right.

After lunch, I was in the middle of math class, trying to do all my problem sets, when there was a commotion going on in the hallway. A bunch of students and some teachers raced down the hallway and up the stairs.

Mr. Rylander stood up to open the door and find out what was going on.

Like everyone else, we abandoned our work and raced out of the room. I tried searching for Jenny or Lily or any familiar face.

"Someone found a dead body in the attic. Brokk texted me about it," Sofie was saying behind me as we all climbed the stairs.

"No way. Did they say who it was?" Stephanie asked.

"No, they didn't say anything yet."

We got to the attic with everyone else pushing to see what was going on. There was lots of yelling and little air to breathe. The teachers were trying to block the crime scene until the cops came.

Another vampire attack? Who was the victim now?

But I was too short to see anything. Everyone's giant heads were in the way.