22. Patience Waning

Jungkook didn't seem to realize that time had continued around him, his attention solely on the baby in his arms. The new bunny had quickly gotten comfortable, snuggled against his chest, her ears tucked away in Jungkook's arm. He was the most comfortable in that moment then he had been in the last month, holding baby Yoona, sat on a chair, simply being with her.

For the last half an hour, every time anyone tried to get too close to Jungkook, or try to take Yoona from his arms, Yoona would start to fuss. At first Jungkook thought maybe it was something he had done, trying to hand the small bundle over to Jae or Amy, or anyone close enough. Though every time that happened, Yoona would cry, loudly and constantly until Jungkook took her again. So Jungkook sat, even with people surrounding him, alone with baby Yoona, a calming quiet surrounding them both.

"You have a way with her." Jae sat down next to Jungkook, a stupid smile on his face as he took in his daughter. "Since we bought her home she's only been this calm for Amy or me."

Jungkook looked up to the older man, his Uncle; "I'm sure it's nothing. I bet she likes I'm just quiet."

"Don't sell yourself short, Jungkook." Jae tipped the cup he held toward Jungkook, meeting his eyes. "You've sat here with her for nearly an hour and been pretty attentive to her needs. You're a natural."

"I don't know about that." Jungkook shook his head, before the words registered, staring wide eyed at Jae. "I've been sitting here for an hour?"

"Close to it." Jae looked at his watch, nodding.

"I have to go." Jungkook looked down at the sleeping baby. "I'm late."

"You're not staying?" Jae stood with Jungkook, sitting his cup down as Jungkook started to softly transfer baby Yoona into his hands. "The foods just getting done."

"I can't stay. I'm already late." Jungkook finally laid Yoona in Jae's arms, smiling softly. "I'll see you later."

Jae smiled widely at Jungkook, who turned, ready to run back to his home if he had too, looking around for the others. He spotted them quickly, Jimin and Taehyung playing games with other kids, Yoongi and Hoseok already doing their sweep for this part of the property. He called for them quickly, pointing towards the house before Yoongi just raised a hand in understanding before he was back to work. Jimin and Taehyung ran over to join Jungkook, already knowing Namjoon and Reyna would be waiting for them back at the main house.

"Where are you going?" Jungkook's mother stopped him before the three could walk back down the dirty path.

"Home. I have things to do." Jungkook nodded before turning, thinking the conversation was over.

"Jungkook, you mother is talking to you. The least you can do is hold a small conversation with us." His father, an almost spitting image of a younger Jeon Yeong-Su, wrapped his arm protectively around his wife.

"Look, I don't have time right now-"

"Can't you just talk to us, Jungkookie." His mother interrupted, only causing Jungkook to finally snap.

"My name is not Jungkookie. It's Jungkook." He raised his voice, causing the attention for everyone around to turn to them. "Don't you get that? I'm not some little kid anymore. You don't know anything about me, so stop treating me like some child. Just leave me alone."

Jungkook didn't stop a second time, not even bothering to check if Jimin and Taehyung were following him as he walked determined towards the house. His feet only picked up to a run as he looked at the time on his phone, he was late and all he could think about was leaving Yoona to wait, again. He didn't care about anything more, his mind, his heart, his soul was focused completely on the one woman who he couldn't even be near.