8. Protect and Protected

For a few days, Yoona wasn't too proud to admit she was completely avoiding the topic of bonding.

Jungkook continued to circle her at any moment, for a few minutes he would run quick circles around her and then stop in his tracks, looking at her expectantly and then frown when Yoona didn't seem to respond. Jungkook still liked to be close to her, still liked to be with Yoona in her office, somehow even talking his way into cuddling her at night.

"Rabbit hybrids naturally want to be around other people." Jungkook had insisted as he followed Yoona up the stairs. "So me sleeping in your bed is normal for us."

"Jungkook..." Yoona stopped as they reached her door.

"Plus it's almost winter so it's getting cold at night. I'd be like your own personal heater." Jungkook smiled widely, knowing Yoona liked being warm at night. "And me being closer to you would only help my recovering in being around other people, right?"

Jungkook had Yoona at that. It was truly, if Jungkook was able to be close to someone curled up in bed, then it would help him when it comes to being around people. Yoona just didn't know if it was a good idea to have Jungkook so close to her when she was still so confused on the topic of the "What if's..." that were always hanging over them.

"Fine. Just for tonight." Yoona nodded.

It didn't last the night, but every night since the last night Jungkook had slept in Yoona's bed, wrapped around her back. It was a natural rhythm they ell into with each other, Jungkook ending the day and starting the day right where he wanted to be, arms wrapped around Yoona.

He was confidently giving her all the signs, but Yoona didn't know what to do.

She had been avoiding the real topic, instead opting to pretend like everything was still as normal as when Jungkook had arrived. She tried to convince herself that the cuddling was what normally happened, that Jungkook's presence didn't make her whole stomach flip, that her eyes didn't instinctually follow his movements. That he was just another hybrid she had rescued and is almost recovered, that he would be ready to leave and move on soon.

Jungkook had left early one morning, even boldly leaving with a kiss to Yoona's forehead as he he rushed to meet Mr. and Mrs. Astor's sons. There were a few new hybrids moving onto the sanctuary and houses were being built, Jungkook happily offered to help them on the prey houses. He would be spending the day with the Astor's son, building houses and no doubt getting to know more hybrids on the property.

Yoona, however, finally had a day off from paperwork, and was working with Mr. Astor at the front gate of the sanctuary. The main driveway had needed some repair for months and now with some time, Yoona had asked Mr. Astor to help her, knowing he'd already had experience in this. They had made a quick trip, well more a 3 hour trip, into town early that morning and now it was closing in on late afternoon, last time Yoona checking the time it was 2pm. Both of them covered in dirt and sweat, but happily laying brick after brick into the driveway, knowing it would be better to lay it now then before it got too cold.

"How are you holding up, Yoona?" Mr. Astor asked, offering Yoona a bottle of water.

Gratefully taking the bottle with a smile; "I'm good. Are you okay?"

"I'm old and it's quite hot." Mr. Astor smiled. "I'm as good as I can be."

Yoona laughed a little, knowing that even though it was getting colder as the afternoon drew to the evening, it was still hot working under the sun, shaking her head as she took a few sips of the water. Taking rather large gulps of water, Yoona looked back into the sanctuary, smiling at just how lively it was, how busy it was these days as the winter months were soon to settle in. Everything was perfect, everything was how it should be, and now with the laws being on their side, happily ever after was the only thing left for anyone to achieve here.