C H A P T E R T W E N T Y- T W O

Song: Like by Reekado Banks, Tiwa Savage, Fiokee

TWO WEEKS HAD PASSED since Chidinma had written that letter

TWO WEEKS HAD PASSED since Chidinma had written that letter. The relief she received from the action was phenomenal but she still felt tense with a deep, weighing feeling in her stomach. Tomorrow, she was supposed to be going to Nigeria for the party and as she drank her coffee and ate her puff puff, the ominous feeling only grew.

"-and the dress is... Are you even listening to, Chi?" Imani asked, frustrated. Chidinma looked up, taking note of her surroundings. By 4 am, the Dunkin' Donuts by the pediatric ward seemed sparse as other exhausted health practitioners eithe inhaled coffee or sneaked sleep.

She shook her Afro, "Sorry, lack of sleep's a bitch. Let me see that-" Chidinma stopped when she felt waves of nausea hit her. She swallowed the bitterness and looked at the pastry she was eating. Suddenly, the hot, oily baked good didn't look as appetizing, "Is there something wrong with the puff puff?"

"What?" Imani shook her head as she chewed her own, "No, it's just as sweet, soft and oily as ever. I swear, no one can make it better than Mama Grace. Hands of heaven, if you-"

But, Chidinma never heard what Imani was about to say because she clamped a hand on her mouth and sprinted to the nearest staff bathroom. Slamming the door open, she threw herself against the toilet and retched all she ate a few hours prior. Imani, right behind her, locked the door and rubbed Chidinma's back.

When Chidinma felt like her stomach was truly empty, she stopped, wincing at the aftertaste.

"Oh God, what did I eat?" Chidinma moaned, standing up.

Imani scoffed with a sly smile, "It's not what you ate, it's who you fucked,"

"What?" Chidinma was confused at first, then she got what Imani was implying and scoffed, shaking her head. It's not possible, not even in the slightest. But, Chidinma couldn't help but feel a twinge of hope at the possibility, "No way,"

"Come on," Imani reasoned, "You and Xante go at it like at least once a day. You don't use contraceptives nor does he ever pull out-"

"Nope. No way,"

Imani shook her head, "When you thought that, you were not sexually active, now were you?"

Chidinma felt her head swim at the mere possibility of her being pregnant. The medical professional in her head ran through a list of possible symptoms. Nausea, vomiting, sore breasts, unusual eating habits. Isn't it too early for vomiting, or nausea? She gulped in fear.

"Okay. Alex in Gyno is working today, T-They have to have spare pregnancy tests," Chidinma stuttered, paling as her hands shook.

Thirty minutes later, Chidinma Deliano found herself staring at three positive pregnancy tests, with tears trailing down her face. This was her dream come true and her eyes blurred with tears at it becoming it reality.