C H A P T E R N I N E T E E N

Song: Scared to be Lonely  by Martin Garrix ft. Dua Lipa

T H E N E X T D A Y

T H E N E X T D A Y

"TONIGHT, I'M GOING to be sleeping alone, Xante," Chidinma said, looking down at the ground and Xante thought he heard her wrong.

He started overthinking. Why would she want to sleep alone? Was it what he told her? Was she disgusted with him? His anxiety began to flare, sensing a loss of control in his thoughts. Xante licked his lips and gulped, stammering;

"W-why?"

Chidinma shook her head with a forced smile, "I just want a little more room on the bed to move about,"

A pang hit his heart. He knew something was wrong. He had been feeling that since this morning when she asked him what day it was. The night before was one of the best nights of Xante's life. The love they made, the intensity of her touch, her small kisses which reassured him of them. Of everything. Then, it was like she had a switch of some sort the morning after.

The entire day she was jumpy and distracted. Every time Xante offered any activity, Chidinma would shake her head slightly and resume staring off into the distance. At breakfast, she only ate a little, playing with her food with her fork. Xante even offered to attempt to cheer her up sexually, but she turned him down and headed to the master bedroom to lie down.

"Was it last night?" Xante asked softly, eyes low, "Is that why you suddenly can't bear to spend five minutes with me?"

Her brows furrowed in confusion, a slight wrinkle showing up in between them. Then, her eyes widened in surprise, "Oh, no, no. Xante, it has nothing to do with you. I just want space. J-just for tonight,"

"Why?" Xante insisted and Chidinma scoffed, getting agitated, "Why do you want to sleep alone, Chidinma?"

"Look, why can't you just leave me alone?!" Chidinma snapped, standing up, "You're like a damn fly, getting all up in my business,"

Xante reared back in shock, then his voice became icy, "Unfortunately, Dr. Deliano, the minute you said 'I do', your business became my business. If that was not the goal, I'm sure an annulment can be arranged, "

Chidinma scoffed and stormed off into the main bedroom, slamming the door forcefully. Xante swore, throwing his head into his hands in regret. He stood up and went up to the locked bamboo door, his fist hovering near it. His damn mouth will not be the reason his marriage fails.

Xante sighed, "Chidinma?" He knocked slightly and let out another sigh. Then, he slid down the door to sit on the floor, back against the door. Xante threw his head back to rest on the door as his adam's apple bobbed with every breath, "I'm sorry. That was completely wrong to say," He murmured, and received silence in return. However, somehow he knew that Chidinma was listening, "If you want space, you can have it. I'm just-"