C H A P T E R F O U R T E E N

Song: How I Feel by Yemi Alade

T W O M O N T H S L A T E R

"GOD, I HATE heights. And planes,"

"Does that mean no to the big 'o'?"

"Omarion, I do not want to smoke weed in the plane!"

"Lolade, why are you ignoring me?"

"Mcheww. Commot for here, jo!" (Leave here!)

"Yes, tell him that if he does not find, produce or even- discover my money, he'll find out how dangerous stored interest fees are for loaners from the Bank of Marcelo,"

It was the Wednesday before the wedding and Xante felt his nerves fast approaching as the private jet, which held the bridal party, touched the skies. After sleeping for a while, he closed his eyes and tried to breathe but realized that he was going to need that Xanax after all. Xante stood up and headed to the back of the plane, where Chidinma was apparently napping in a room.

The door swung open to show Chidinma listening to gospel music in the stereo system. Her kinky curls were in an afro as she stared out the small, glass window, singing along.

"If God be for me, who could be-"

"Hey," Xante interrupted, shutting the door. Startled for a second, Chidinma turned towards him with a smile on her face. Seeing her bold smile and deep brown eyes made Xante nervous dissipate. She reminded him of why he wanted to get married to her, "I thought you were sleeping,"

She shrugged, "I tried to. But, as you can see, I did not turn out how I planned," Chidinma answered with a wolfish grin, "What about you? I hope you are not having cold feet, oh?!"

"I should be asking you that, Dr. Ndidi," Xante replied with a faint smile playing on his lips. Since his sister sent him the video of Chidinma un-cancelling the wedding, Xante had tried to talk to the woman in question to tell her about his feelings. But she had been ignoring any indication of a proper conversation for two months.

"Anyways," Chidinma switched topics with a shake of her head, "My mom said the renovations for the land in Nigeria, the mall, is done. She's bringing the last of documents for me to sign,"

"That's good," Xante replied, setting his steely, bright sky blue eyes on Chidinma. The stare unsettled Chidinma, who looked away anxiously, twisting her engagement ring, "Chidinma, we need to talk,"

Chidinma stood up nervously and moved for the door, "I-um, I just realized I need to-um, talk to Imani about her speech, so I'll just-"

"No," Xante made his voice hard and Chidinma gulped and stilled, "You have been avoiding me for two months,"

"I have?" She faintly croaked in surprise, "I'm sure it was a simple case of miscommunication since I was really busy with the-" She rambled, slowly moving for the door. Xante raised his brow, a smooth movement.