C H A P T E R T H I R T Y- F O U R

CHIDINMA WATCHED THE VIEW FROM the passenger seat of Xante's Aston Martin as it pulled into the driveway of her house

CHIDINMA WATCHED THE VIEW FROM the passenger seat of Xante's Aston Martin as it pulled into the driveway of her house. Her heart filled heavy with homesickness, almost like she'd gone on a long trip and her consciousness found the house new. But, she refused adamantly to live with a man she barely knew, especially in her... condition.

Just the thought left a bitter taste in her mouth.

Since being told that she was expecting, Chidinma had pushed the very idea of being pregnant far away into her brain. It didn't make sense to get attached too quickly; once the next week Wednesday came, she would wake up to a bed of blood and bruises.

Realizing that they'd been parked on her driveway for a couple of minutes, Chidinma shook herself from her reverie and was about to reach for her door, when Xante spoke for the first time in hours, voice deep.

"Don't. Not yet. The bodyguards need to make another round."

Chidinma huffed in frustration, "You're acting like you're on the FBI's hotlist! Do they really need to do three whole rounds?"

In a gentle tone, Xante spoke, "I am just trying to keep you safe. The safest place you would have been is at home-"

"I am home." Chidinma cut sharply, not even sparing him a look.

Xante's fingers that held the steering wheel blanched as he gripped it tighter, jaw clenched just as tight. Then, after a breath so minuscule, he released the wheel and his jaw. When he spoke, his tone got even softer;

"My apologies, I meant our house- the house legally in both of our names, that is."

Chidinma hated that tone.

How did she let this happen? How could she have let this happen? Let a man get so close, that every word that spilled from her mouth had the potential to become ammunition to hurt them both?

Before Chidinma could even try to fathom a possible answer to that terrifying question, Xante nodded, "Everything is all good now."

How did he know that? Chidinma was certain he didn't have a hidden earpiece to communicate with his bodyguards- sorry, her bodyguards. It was the one thing Xante refused to compromise on since the two left the hospital.

In fact, his exact words were: Either you have them in your townhouse or you have them in our house. Pick one. But you will have them.

Chidinma, who was too tired to argue, picked her battles and agreed, thinking she'd get only one brooding face following her around until she distanced herself from the Deliano name. But, no, she was unfortunately the keeper of 5 grown men.

As she exited the car, taking slight note of the lower back pain she was suddenly aware of, Chidinma wondered what exactly her husband was doing to require 5 bodyguards for his wife. Or the bulletproof car, custom-made with military-level specs magically sitting next to his car on her driveway, the one she was expected to drive instead of her trusty Tesla? Did it have anything to do with how she ended up in the hospital?