C H A P T E R O N E

Song: On the Low - Burna Boy

"WHAT ARE YOU READING?" Dr. Chidinma Ndidi inquired quietly to her best friend as she chewed her ofada rice quickly, Imani Javada, who carefully flipped through a magazine.

As a pediatrician, her schedule was hectic, and this slight thirty-minute break was all she was afforded in her 7-hour shift. Her workload had increased even more as she took on certain shifts for her good friend, Dr. Sackel, for regular adult patients. Once she met some of the more lustful, patients, she suddenly regretted wearing such a low-cut blouse.

The Arabic girl snorted, her gaze glazed over in desire as she pressed the magazine closer to her face, "Girlie, I am not reading. I am admiring the rich and drop-dead sexy,"

Once Chidinma took a gaze at the cover, she suddenly understood in appreciation. Goddamn. On the glossy cover stood a tan, sculpted man in a fitted suit, standing behind a wood table, the city of Los Angeles beyond him. The specimen had raven curls, a delightful mess atop his head, his icy blue orbs fixed in a cold glare. Chidinma gulped as her abdomen clenched, imagining what those tattooed hands tightly holding that chair could do. To her.

Dear Lord. I'm going to need some holy water on Sunday.

And a copy of that magazine. For educational purposes of course.

Chidinma cleared her dry throat, as her gaze fell on the word marriage on the cover. That's right, she was getting married in a week, "What is it?"

Imani raised her perfectly arched eyebrow, tone teasing, "Why do you ask? Last I checked, you were getting married,"

If Chidinma's skin was not dark, she would have been sure a blush would have filled her face as she shook off her friend's words, "I'm sure Timmy wouldn't mind me checking out some stupid magazine," Then, her warm brown eyes narrowed, "Abeg, why am I even justifying my shit with you?"

"Because you love me," replied Imani, fluttering her long lashes, "Anyways, the hunk on the cover is Xavier something. He's some European millionaire or something. I wouldn't know, and I most certainly do not care. The only thing I do care about are those abs,"

Excitedly, Chidinma turned towards her friend and her gaze zeroed on the page that had Imani swooning and suddenly, her throat dried up. The same man on the front was rising from an indoor pool, skin glinting drops of water, dark hair slicked back. Tattoos were everywhere, intricate designs perfectly placed on his chiseled form, abs rippling even in the picture.

Chidinma took a shaky breath, biting her lip. Our Lord in Heaven really took his time creating this hunk of a man.

Sadly, she was ripped from her daydream by a sharp alarm from her phone. Chidinma stood up, closing her food and stashing it in her locker, "I'm sorry, I gotta go. My break is over,"