C H A P T E R T E N

Song: In My Bed by Rotimi ft. Wale

XANTE HAD TO have planned this

XANTE HAD TO have planned this. How else could Chidinma Ndidi describe the butterflies in her belly, the constant smile on her face at the mere mention of his name and the way her heart galloped? Chidinma rested her forehead on the cool glass of the airplane, biting her lip as Imani Javada, chattered in her ear about their weekend in New York City.

"Girl, I swear, New York is gonna be so fun, isn't it?"

"Mhmm," Chidinma hummed in reply, as the pilot announced that they will be landing in 10 minutes.

"And Rotimi's gonna rock your world," One of her other bridesmaids and Xante's sister, Tini Deliano asked humorously and Chidinma hummed in reply once more. Finally, knowing what buttons to press to annoy her sister, Chioma threw in innocently.

"You'll lend me 10 grand right now, right?"

As Chidinma started to hum in response, she realized the words that left her sister's lips and threw Chioma a look of distaste as she sneered, "Sometimes I wonder if all the reptiles in the world are incredibly jealous of you because you are the biggest snake yet,"

"Sometimes I wonder if all the toilets are jealous of you because you are just full of-" 19-year-old antagonist, Chioma taunted snarkily but was interrupted by Adora Ndidi, their cousin and Chidinma's bridesmaid, who tutted as she flipped a page of a magazine. 30-year-old Adora Ndidi was a child psychologist and a proud Black Lives Matter advocate. If she was not wearing her marching sneakers, she most likely was giving her opinion online as a member of Black Twitter.

"Now, now," The elder cousin chided, "Even though both parties are surprisingly right," Chidinma and Chioma turned to look at their cousin in utter astonishment, "Try not to kill each other,"

"Ah ah, wetin na? Leave them, make them kill each other. Ka oge nile Chidinma, hapuru m kaadị kredit ahụ tupu ya abanye n'ili," (Igbo: What is it? Let them kill each other. As long as Chidinma leaves me that credit card before she enters the grave.) Chidera Obura responded as they unbuckled their seatbelts and reached up to grab their stuff.

Chidera Obura was nothing but a businesswoman. And an Igbo one too. She ran her own law firm in Downtown Los Angeles and did not take crap from anyone. It didn't matter where she went, Dera was always trying to get a good bargain on anything. Her cheap mindset made her the rational friend.

As if it were alive, Chidinma felt the back of her phone pulsing. She had kept the precious Black AmEx card given to her by her fiancé, Xante Deliano, the night before next to the other most precious thing she owned: her phone. On the way to the airport and during the four hour flight from LAX, Chidinma had told all her bridesmaids, except Ezinne who lived in New York, what had happened the night before. Then, as one of her best friends, Lolade Fashola, an economist at JP Morgan, continued to gaze at the metal card in childlike wonder, Chidinma turned to Google.