C H A P T E R T H I R T Y- O N E

Song: If the World Was Ending by JP Saxe ft. Julia Michaels

 Julia Michaels

D E S I R E T O H O L D

XANTE'S KNEE bounced as the ambulance drove at a hazardous speed toward San Raffaele Hospital. His hand had never let go of Chidinma's, who was strapped to an oxygen mask and had still not awoken. Xante took one look at the bruises littering her beautiful brown skin and choked back a sob.

Behind and in front of the ambulance, police escorts followed, making sure that the ambulance was not stopped by any circumstances whatsoever, and behind that were the members of Xante's mafia in less conspicuous cars. The voice of the paramedic filled his senses with a low buzz as he kept staring at his broken wife, wondering where he had gone wrong.

Italy had always been a country of comfort for Xante, his home despite anything going on in North America. But, like all comforts Xante had enjoyed, soon, it became a breeding place for his nightmares.

"Is she... is she alive?" Xante whispered to the paramedic who nodded, as she held the oxygen mask close to Chidinma's blue lips, counting in her head.

The paramedic sighed as she checked Chidinma's pulse, over and over, "Yes, but barely. Her right sternum is severely fractured," She noted somberly, pointing to the ugly, purple bruise on her right side that was swollen, "And it is digging into her right vena cava. Which means her heart tissue will have subsequent damage. She might need surgery, maybe an aneurysm repair, which might be difficult due to her pregnancy and..."

Her soft voice faded into a dull buzz once more as Xante gazed at Chidinma, worry and fear tugging at his heart. He reached for her hand slowly, caressing her bruised and bloodied fingers, desperate to hold on. To something, to anything, to calm his rising anxiety.

A couple of minutes later, the ambulance pulled into the hospital, sirens blaring. When the heavy doors opened up, two doctors were waiting impatiently with four or so nurses. They pulled Xante away from the emergency room they rolled Chidinma into, telling him it was for the best and they will take care of her and she will be fine.

Xante ran his bloodied hands through his dark hair as he paced the waiting room. The minutes became hours and all Xante was doing was pacing and waiting and pacing and waiting. His anger roared and his fear crept and his anxiety tore through his soul and he felt like he was drowning.

Just as his silver eyes began to fade into white as Alessandro pounded for blood, he heard a soft voice behind him.

"Xante,"

He turned around to see a crying Chioma and suddenly the emotions he had been feeling for so long swallowed him whole as he broke down, desperate for something to hold on to as he sobbed, crying for his wife, for his child and for the future of his family.