C H A P T E R T H I R T Y- T H R E E

Song: What if I Told You That I Love You by Ali Gatie

MY HEAD. My head is fucking killing me, was Chidinma's first thought when her heavy lids raised open to the extremely bright light. Shakingly, she raised her hand to her head, the limb heavy from no use. The raging, ear-splitting headache she was feeling was extra stellar and Chidinma had never experienced a headache this bad before. She tried to breathe through her mouth but started choking at the tube down her throat

A moment later, Chioma appeared at her side with a shocked gasp, and suddenly, she started sobbing, "Oh my god... you're a-awake. Chidinma, m-my God,"

Furiously, her little sister pressed the help button, her honey orbs glazed with tears. Chidinma reached for the tube stuck down her throat and pulled it out as gently as possible, her throat feeling sore. Reaching for the button that operated the bed, she moved herself to sit up, resting her pounding head on the fluffy pillows.

"My... head," Chidinma groaned in pain and next to her, her mother and Imani stood patiently.

Imani reached for her best friend's hand in concern, "Are you okay, C?"

Chidinma tried to sound empathetic, but somehow, she just did not care enough to not make her voice sound dry, "I'm in the hospital, what do you think?"

Imani's brows flew up and she smirked, "Nice to see you're still a bitch,"

Something only her best friend would say after all. Imani shook her head and went to sit down on the plump couch. Chidinma took a look around the room and noticed the Victoria General logo floating on the doctor's computer screen. The room was grand, with a flat-screen TV, two velvet couches and more than enough room for one patient.

This was the President's Suite. But why was she in it?

The wooden doors opened up to the doctor and two nurses. Chidinma looked up to see Dr. Havenbury, the Chair of the Neurology Department and Dr. Jasdeep, her gynecologist. Dr. Havenbury approached her just as a resident doctor checked her vitals, "Dr. Deliano, you took quite the fall, no?"

Chidinma was not even thinking when she answered, "I wouldn't say quite the...wait," Then, what the elderly doctor said registered in her brain, "What did you call me? I'm Dr. Ndidi,"

The doctors exchanged a panicked look with each other and turned back to Chidinma. Dr. Jasdeep inquired, her South Asian accent prominent in her words, "What is your name?"

Feeling herself get agitated, she retorted, "What kind of idiotic question is that? My name is Chidinma Adaobi Ndidi,"

Now, even her own family was shocked at her response. Dr. Havenbury followed up, "And what happened to you?"

"I fell-" A sigh of relief rang through the room, and Chidinma finished, "-in my house,"

Chidinma did not understand why they looked so panicked. That was what happened, no? She fell down her stairs, hit her head and fainted. That was why she was here. So, why were they acting like the complete opposite?