C H A P T E R T H R E E

Song: Fia by Davido

S I X M O N T H S L A T E R

HARSH SMOKE FILLED Xante Deliano's lungs, as the dark clouds blurred his vision. the room seemed to be swaying as the scorching fire licked at the building and walls. Xante's eyes closed tiredly, feeling the intense heat and the smell of char surround him, but never quite touch him. 

Then, he heard the terrified cries of the little girl. He tried to move his body to help her, but it felt heavy and glued to the floor. The screams were getting closer and closer, terror filling the air, followed by the scent of singed human flesh.

Xante's vision swayed and when he looked up, he saw the grotesque image of a burned and charred baby girl, reaching her blackened hand towards him, eyes wide open...

With terrified pants, Xante awoke, naked chest covered in a layer of sweat. He raised himself up against the headboard of his bed, the action causing the other person in the bed, a slender woman, to wake with a start as well. The bright morning rays shone through the floor to ceiling windows behind the bed, birds chirping along.

Xante hated it.

"Hey," The woman began in a sleepy voice, the sheets barely covering her body. Xante did not even look at her as he got up from his bed and threw on a pair of sweatpants. Her highlighted brunette hair covered the pillows, and she dropped the sheets with a sultry smile, leaving her body bare, "Where are you going, babe?"

Xante turned and coldly replied, "Away from you," Then, as he entered his bathroom, he added, expression stony, "-and for your sake, you better hope that you are far away from my property by the time I finish my shower,"

The girl gulped and rushed to throw on  her clothes and Xante shut the door. When he had come out, surprisingly, the girl took his advice and was gone. Some of them decide to piss him off and actually stay or worse, hide.

It never ended well for both parties. Xante would end up late for work and the girl, well...

Taking a bottle of water from his mini fridge, he threw back his medicines, trying not to close his eyes because of the horrible sight from his delightful nightmares. Shaking his head, Xante wore his three-piece suit, sliding his feet into Louboutin's. He removed his glasses and replaced them with contacts instead. After he jogged downstairs and headed to his kitchen where his chef, Anita, was preparing him breakfast, and his assistant Samuel was typing furiously on his laptop.

He was about to ask Samuel about his schedule, when the assistant hurriedly pointed out something behind Xante. Xante turned to see his mother, across the indoor pool that divided the two areas, sitting patiently on his leather couch in his living room. Raising an eyebrow at Samuel, who only shrugged, Xante took his plate of food and cup of black coffee and moved towards his awaiting mother.