C H A P T E R T H I R T Y

Song: This City (Remix) by Sam Fischer ft. Anne-Marie

 Anne-Marie

T H R E E W E E K S L A T E R

XANTE BLINKED and held his breath. At the top of the grand, marble stairs stood Angela Soliso holding a bruised and hurt Chidinma. Against Chidinma's throat, Soliso held a sharp knife.

"So, Xante baby," Angela screeched, her blue gaze hardened and insane. Xante had never seen her so unkempt in his life as her blonde hair lay flattened and greasy, her skin pale and dark, heavy bags underneath her eyes. A spine-chilling grin came upon her face, "What will it be? Me or her?"

Xante stood at the bottom of the stairs, holding the bannister tightly. In a low growl, he replied, "Go. To. Hell, Soliso,"

Silence filled the entire mansion as the confident look on Soliso's face slowly dropped. Xante's gaze met Chidinma's frightened brown eyes and to the best of his ability, he tried to tell her that he loved her through his gaze. Angela Soliso noticed their eye contact and scoffed.

"Fine, fine," Angela concluded and Xante met her gaze head-on. She attempted to look apologetic and sighed. Then, a chilling smile came upon her face, "If I can't have you, Xante Deliano, no one can,"

Then, before Xante could blink, the knife in Angela's hand went across Chidinma's throat and the psychopath pushed her body down the stairs.

The fall was slow, but the fastest moment of Xante's life. The crimson blood trailed down the stairs with every thud, smearing against the white marble. When her body finally hit the ground in front of him, Xante bent down, panicking as blood gurgled in her slit thorax. She gasped for air, shakily reaching for Xante, the life draining from her warm brown eyes.

"No, C-chidinma, baby," Xante pleaded, tears falling down his face, as he tried to stop the blood loss, dripping onto the floor, staining his clothes, "P-please,"

"CHIDINMA!"

In a yell, Xante awoke in his bed. The reality of the situation caused him to burst into tears. Xante always had nightmares, but this one, this one was so real. He felt Chidinma dying. In his arms. he tried to calm his breathing as he found that he was hyperventilating.

He looked up to see himself, wearing a neat white suit, sitting on the couch in his room, white scleras looking at him. And suddenly, Xante knew why that dream felt so real. Because it was. But, he needed to ask.

What was that? Xante murmured, sweat lining his skin.

"Reality,"

Xante took a sharp inhale as Alessandro confirmed the worst of his nightmares.

"In a couple of hours, you going to find Chidinma. And that will be your reality,"

Xante felt a fresh wave of tears trail down his face, as he sobbed. God. Chidinma dying. The dull thuds every time her body hit a new step. And all the blood. The warm, thick blood never seemed to stop flowing. With every blink, that was all he could see. Feel.