C H A P T E R T W O

Song of the Chapter : Pak n go by Kizz Daniel

A W E E K L A T E R

TIMOTHY OBIADULI WAS a failure. Chidinma didn't even know why she was marrying him. She felt like crying her eyes out; all the dreams and plans she had, he dismissed. Fine, call her selfish. But ever since she was a little girl, she had always planned that special day. The dress that made her look like royalty, the dream destination wedding that made angels stop and watch, the huge diamond ring she would show off. Everything.

When Timothy proposed, Chidinma was shocked because, in all honesty, they had never dated. Timothy came from the respectable Obiaduli family and she had known him since the seventh grade when she moved to Canada with her aunt. With him knowing her predicament and both families wanting to join forces, this marriage seemed perfectly reasonable.

More like her mother had always wanted Chidinma to marry her friend's son.

Chidinma had to admit, at first, she felt no love towards Timothy. But, over the year that they were engaged, she fell in love with his smooth baby face, light brown kinky hair and brown eyes.

The only mistake; allowing him to have his way in the wedding planning. The Igbo traditional wedding that was expected was canceled because Tim said that those things were too old school. Next, he collected the meager 10-carat diamond engagement ring and needed to return it to get his money ($67.55) back with the promise of a bigger ring after marriage. Then, he wanted a very small wedding at a Lagos courthouse, with the reception at Tastee Fried Chicken.

She had a headache just thinking about it.

Timothy even refused to do the Ndidi tradition at the introduction and the last couple that refused to do it, well, their marriage was the failure of all failure. Chidinma would know, because she was the product of that marriage.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" One of her best friends, Lolade Fashola, asked, standing beside her in the mirror. The plain white midi dress, courtesy of Tim's wishes, that hugged her curves and stopped at her knees was not the ball dress she had dreamed about. Chidinma even had to do her makeup herself as Tim didn't want someone like that in. She sighed and patted down the soft cotton fabric of the dress.

Chidinma was settling. Not settling down. She had to. After all which man would want-

"Yeah, babe. We can call it off, blame it on Lagos traffic," Imani added softly.

"I love him, guys. I want this, I-" Chidinma started but was interrupted by Tim bursting in, face drenched in sweat as he panted. Lolade, Imani and Fatima Yousef, her other best friend, tried to block his sight of Chidinma.

"What are you doing? You're not supposed to see me until the courthouse-" She started again but was interrupted by a gut-wrenching statement from Tim.

"We need to talk,"