Secrets and Loans

Anna and Rory ran into the diner, waving their envelopes around. "I got it!"

"You did?" Lorelai got just as excited as them.

"Right here." They sat down at the table.

"Ooh! Well, hurry up, open it!" Lorelai nods to them. The teens ripped open their envelopes. She looks up at Luke, who was holding on to the coffee pot. "Leave the pot, Ethel."

"I'm just an enabler." He put it down before walking away.

"Okay, just remember these are PSATs, okay, so it's like the Baby Gap, they don't count as much. Plus, you can take them over again. Plus, you guys are very young and have years of learning ahead of you and the really important thing is that you tried very hard." Lorelai didn't want them to freak out if they didn't do well.

"I got a 740 verbal and a 760 math." Rory gave her results.

"I got a 760 verbal and a 730 math." Anna cheers.

"Ugh, thank God, you guys are not idiots." She sighs in relief.

"I got a 740 verbal and a 760 math?" Rory read it again in disbelief.

"Those are damn good scores, little lady. Amazing, top-notch. Those are PSAT-rific. Sorry, it was just lying there, I had to go for it. You're frowning." She questioned her oldest face.

"How did I get a higher score in math?" Rory stares at the paper.

"Who cares?" Lorelai didn't see the problem.

"But I'm stronger in verbal. Verbal is my thing." Rory looks up at them.

"No, verbal's my thing." Anna pointed out her higher score.

"Maybe I didn't study hard enough. Maybe I got cocky." Rory frowned at the paper.

"Maybe you need a major mud bath/salt glow/chill pill combo." Lorelai worried about her oldest when she stressed out over good news.

"I'm just saying. . ." She sighs.

"Rory, you got a great score," Lorelai told her.

"You got higher than me in Math." Anna pointed out.

"Yeah but. . ." She squinted at her scores.

"No, a great score." Lorelai stopped her from saying any more negative comments.

"A great score?" She asks.

"That is a score you have earned and you deserve and will allow you to look down on me for many years to come." She teased.

"Okay." She smiled.

"Okay. So we should celebrate. Hey, how about we get all dressed up tonight and hit the Rocky Horror Picture Show?" She spoke about the movie they were showing in the theater.

"Are you serious?" Anna and Rory scream in excitement.

"Please, I'm always serious." She scrunched up her face like it was a ridiculous question.

"Can I invite Lane?" Rory asks.

"Absolutely." She nods.

"Okay. I hope she gets this in time. She's been kind of hard to reach lately." She pulled out her pager.

"Well, maybe she can't handle the pressure of having such a brilliant best friend. Brilliant in math, the verbal's kinda sad." She jokes.

"Thank you, Mom." Rory showed her a glare.

"You're late." Luke came over to remind her.

"Oh shoot, I am. I have to go. Hey, Rory and Anna kicked some major PSAT ass today." Lorelai told him as she put away her things.