I Can't Get Started

Lorelai, Rory, Anna, Michel, and Sookie are sitting at a table in the dining room of the Inn. They were listening to the song I Can't Get Started by Ella Fitzgerald. Sookie stops the music to ask for everyone's opinion.

"Sookie, you've gotta be kidding." Lorelai voiced what everyone was thinking.

"What?" She didn't see the problem.

"You cannot walk down the aisle to that." She would not allow her best friend to do this.

"Why?" She whines.

"It's depressing." She looked around at everyone's sad faces.

"It's Ella." Sookie loved her.

"It's morbid." She pointed out.

"It's a classic song." She defends her choice.

"A classic song with lyrics about a woman who can't make her relationship work, whose life is filled with emptiness and regret and pain." It wasn't something to walk down the aisle to.

"Oh, who listens to the lyrics?" She said getting a scoff from Michel and Anna.

"Anybody not hanging out with Annie Sullivan by the water pump." Lorelai sighes.

Rory got up to grab a basket of CDs. "What are these?"

"Oh, those are some alternative songs, but I like this one the best." She told them.

"Alternative songs, good. Let's see. Hey Jude." Lorelai got up to look through them.

"Paul wrote it for Julian to cheer him up." Sookie smiled. Michel looked at her like she was stupid.

"Seasons in the Sun?" She read the next one.

"Oh, a sentimental favorite." Sookie nods.

"Cat's in the Cradle?" She read, making Anna look at Sookie like she grew a second head.

"Oh, it makes you re-examine your priorities." She defends herself.

"Don't Cry Out Loud? Sookie, do you even like Jackson?" She threw the CD back in the basket.

"Okay, I have a wonderful suggestion." Michel stood up.

"Great, let's hear it." Lorelai nods for him to take the floor.

"Okay, here we go. How about I leave?" He requests.

"And then do what?" Loralei wondered what he would do. Was he going to look up bands or google wedding songs?

"That's it. I leave and I don't have to listen to this insanity anymore. What do you think, huh? Because I love it." He gave his wonderful suggestion.

"Michel, I am in the wedding, which means you have to run the wedding all by yourself, something you've never done before." She let him know why he had to stay.

"Oh, please." He sighs dramatically.

"I'll tell you what, Sookie. How about Lane, Anna, and I come up with a few more suggestions for you? Still melodic, but not quite as Girl, Interrupted." Rory sat down.

"Alright, fine." She wraps up a lavender to go in the bouquet.

"Great. Michel, how's the RSVP list coming?" Lorelai turns to him.

"Well, I must say this has been especially challenging for me. I mean, when you are talking about a wedding with up to forty people all living within a five-mile radius, how can one person be expected to keep track of all of that?" He picked up the paper that had the list of people.