Application Anxiety

Anna was up in her room looking over her application for Gillespie's Culinary Art School and for the prep cook position in the kitchen of Gillespie's, the chef's first restaurant that is right next to the school. Lorelai and Rory were in the kitchen obsessing over her application to Harvard. Anna was happy to be able to do this by herself where she would concentrate. She looked over the checklist they had for people applying out of high school: complete application, three letters of recommendation, short essay with a maximum of 750 words explaining your desire to go into the culinary arts, SAT scores, a phone interview, proof of citizenship, and of course the application fee. She was using her best handwriting to fill out the application. She put down her pen when her hand got sore.

"Do you think it is possible to get the job, but not get into the school?" She looked over at Jess, who was reading on her bed.

"I guess." He didn't look up from the book.

"Because I think that would be a better option than the alternative of getting into the school and not getting the job because I need the money. Not that it's going to be enough to cover rent and tuition. Oh, my god, what am I going to do if I get in? I'm going to be in debt forever or homeless or both." She was hyperventilating.

"Oh, shit..." He put the book on the side, bent down in front of her to cup her face. "You have the privilege of rich grandparents who think the sun shines out of your ass. They would not let you be in debt or homeless."

"I can't let them pay for everything." She didn't want to use them like that.

"Then you can take out a loan from them like your mom did." He reasoned.

"I guess." She took a deep breath.

"You're going to get into the school and the job position." He said it like it was a commonly known fact.

"You think so?" She questions.

"I know so. I looked up the school and they have a certain number of spots for kids coming out of high school." Jess told her.

"Yeah, there are only 25 guaranteed spots for the best high school students." She nods.

"It's 25 spots for it but it's not like they can't accept more. But, you're going to be in that 25. How many high school students can say they had years of experience in working in two professional kitchens? One of them being an Inn that hosts weddings and other fancy events." He thought she was a shoo-in.

She leaned forward to kiss him. "I love you."

"You have no choice, you clearly need me." He gave her a peck before laying down on the bed. "I love you too." He mutters just loud enough for her to hear while keeping his eyes on his book.

She giggles at his sad angry boy ways as she goes back to filling out her applications.

Before school, Anna took a trip to the Independence Inn kitchen. "Hey Sookie," She went in to see her filling up the breakfast quiches.

"Hi Honey." She smiled.