The Breakup Part 2

"Tell me what happened." Lorelai let Rory go.

"We broke up, we just broke up," Rory said. Anna let her go, to look at her confused.

"But I don't understand." Lorelai wanted to know how she could help her.

"We... we went to dinner and then we walked by the bonfire but it wasn't lit so we went to this junkyard and we sat in this car and then... oh God!" Rory gaps making them jump.

"What?" Anna asks.

"I forgot your meatball in the car," Rory told them.

"Oh honey, forget it." Lorelai put a hand on her shoulder.

"Oh, I can't believe I left your meatball in the car." She obsessed over the meatball, so she wouldn't have to think about the breakup.

"Okay, okay, come on." Lorelai moves them to sit on the couch.

"After I told the waiter to wrap it up and everything and everyone was like what do you want with one meatball? And I was like it's a mother/daughter thing. And I'm sure he thought I was nuts but he was so nice and he did it anyway and he uh, he brought one of those tin foil swans or duck or some kind of bird and... and then I left it in the car." She rants.

"Okay, forget about the meatball? Just tell me what happened." Lorelai wanted to get to the bottom of this.

"He just broke up with me, okay?" She shrugs.

"That doesn't make sense. This is Dean we're talking about. He's crazy about you. He calls like 25 times a day. Have you seen the cover of his notebook? It's one step away from stalker material." Lorelai shook her head.

"He took you a nice dinner. You don't do that when you're breaking up with someone." Anna reasoned.

"I have to go to bed." She gets up and heads for her room.

"Well, wait. Take me through the night step by step." Lorelai follows her.

"Why?" Rory didn't stop. Anna follows out of curiosity and concern.

"So I can help decipher what happened here," Lorelai told her.

"What happened here is we broke up. He didn't want to be my boyfriend anymore, end of story." She threw her purse on her dresser.

"That is so not the end of the story." Lorelai knew there had to be more to the story.

"Yes, it is." Rory opens her closet.

"Honey, Anna is right, he did not plan an entire romantic evening complete with dinner and a junkyard, which we'll get back to later, and then suddenly decide to dump you for no reason." She argued.

"How do you know?" She pulls out a box from her closet.

"Because I have read every Nancy Drew mystery ever written, the one about the Amish country twice, I know there's more to the story than what you're telling me. What are you doing?" She asked Rory who was throwing stuff into the box.

"I'm getting rid of all this stuff." She took off the bracelet he made for her and shove it into the box.

"What stuff?" Lorelai asks.

"Everything he gave me, everything he touched, and everything he looked at." She put her favorite t-shirt inside the box.

"Honey, will you calm down for just one second." She tried to get her to stop and pay attention to what she was saying.

"He doesn't want to be my boyfriend, fine." She put more clothes inside.

"Okay, it will be fine but..." She took one of the shirts Rory was about to put in the box.